Esteemed Contributor

Re: My husband and in laws in denial about Alzheimer's

On 11/7/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/7/2014 betteb said:
On 11/7/2014 Skylands said:
On 11/6/2014 happy housewife said:

When a person is on dialysis there are certain toxins that just can't be removed by the dialysis and can cause dementia too if they get built up. Has she been actually diagnosed with Alzheimers or does the OP even realize there are other types of dementia than alzheimers.

Yes, I would agree. Just because U say U R a health care worker, that means nothing! R U a RN, MD or what? If not, than U lack credibility.

Dialysis can be a cause of this kind behavior.

Dialysis in itself will not cause dementia, but sepsis, related to dialysis will.

That is incorrect - some toxic materials are not removed by dialysis and if the patient is not very mindful of their diet they do build up and cause dementia.

And skylands -I agree with you - many posters come here and say they are "health care workers" - what does that mean? A nurse aide - a dietary worker - a person who types dictation? Or a neurosurgeon? I always assume if they use the term health care worker it probably is someone who has not been educated or licensed - non professional staff.

But that is not the dialysis itself causing dementia, it's a result of the patient being non-compliant with the prescribed renal diet.

I'm a Certified Dialysis Technician. I ran patients on the machines for years, counseled them on their diets, fluid restrictions, labs, etc.

You are clearly just trying to be argumentative, or you did not read the posts you are answering. No one anywhere said the process of dialysis caused dementia.

You just quoted yourself saying "Dialysis can be a cause of this kind behavior."

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm trying to make sure the OP gets accurate information

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

LoveSG, I am so sorry you are going through this. I have dealt with dementia and Alzheimers both in my family. My father had Alzheimers. My MIL and FIL had dementia - MIL's was probably Alzheimers, FIL was dementia caused by mini-strokes and my MIL's mother died from Alzheimers. Doesn't matter the name when you're dealing with it - they are both tragic to the patient and the families. My sisters-in-law didn't want to talk about dementia - they couldn't deal with it. I'm not in any medical field, but it's my opinion after dealing with it for over 15 years in my family, with dementia there is no absolute truth - it does no more good to reason with someone in denial than it is to try and reason with the person with dementia. All we can do is work it out day by day through love, kindness and respect. Some days, that may mean not telling the truth when it would only cause added pain without any reason. There are enough painful times your family will have to deal with.

My mother had what is now known as temporary dementia brought on by multiple hospitalizations, surgeries and the trauma and confusion surrounding them. At the time we were dealing with it with her, the medical community here didn't recognize that and she treated as if she had dementia. Once she was healing and was in a place with consistency and a degree of normalcy, her mental faculties became normal again. However, all it took was a UTI to knock her back down. As others have said, this may be a part of your MIL's problems.

I agree with bringing a geriatrician in who can evaluate the situation.

I'm sending {{{{{{hugs}}}}}} and prayers to you and your husband.

Honored Contributor

When a person is on dialysis there are certain toxins that just can't be removed by the dialysis and can cause dementia too if they get built up. Has she been actually diagnosed with Alzheimers or does the OP even realize there are other types of dementia than alzheimers.

Yes, I would agree. Just because U say U R a health care worker, that means nothing! R U a RN, MD or what? If not, than U lack credibility.

Dialysis in itself will not cause dementia, but sepsis, related to dialysis will.

That is incorrect - some toxic materials are not removed by dialysis and if the patient is not very mindful of their diet they do build up and cause dementia.

And skylands -I agree with you - many posters come here and say they are "health care workers" - what does that mean? A nurse aide - a dietary worker - a person who types dictation? Or a neurosurgeon? I always assume if they use the term health care worker it probably is someone who has not been educated or licensed - non professional staff.

But that is not the dialysis itself causing dementia, it's a result of the patient being non-compliant with the prescribed renal diet.

I'm a Certified Dialysis Technician. I ran patients on the machines for years, counseled them on their diets, fluid restrictions, labs, etc.

You are clearly just trying to be argumentative, or you did not read the posts you are answering. No one anywhere said the process of dialysis caused dementia.

You just quoted yourself saying "Dialysis can be a cause of this kind behavior."

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm trying to make sure the OP gets accurate information

The reason you could not quote or bold that in my statement was that it is not there - I did not say that - go back and re read this - if you ever read it at all - and bold where I said that - you won't find it. I specifically said that when a person is on dialysis there are certain toxins that can't be removed -- and yes, you are being argumentative and inaccurate.

Honored Contributor

The reason for seeking differential diagnosis is that there are SOME conditions that cause symptoms of dementia but respond to treatment. We had a dear relative who had normal pressure hydrocephalous (sp?). Had she been willing to have a shunt inserted, she might have done better. She decided she didn't want the surgery, but for some it works.
Esteemed Contributor

My Dad recently passed away - due to other health complications resulting from his renal failure, he decided to give up dialysis after 6 years. So this subject is close to my heart- you're not going to be able change people and their perceptions of what is and isn't. My suggestions is be the rational one in the group, be sure the legal stuff is in order- POA's, living wills, advanced directives, a will itself, etc. Take a deep breath and let everyone else live in denial- it's a safe place for them.

Honored Contributor

My mom was a survivor of 3 types of cancer - breast, oral and non-Hodgkins's lymphoma.

She was 76, in great shape (except for smoking 2 packs a day & the high BP that came from that), sharp as a tack.

She went from being very active to lethargic, swollen ankles and "out of it" in just a few days. She didn't want to be hospitalized, but finally went. It was discovered that she was in the last stages of renal failure & she was put on dialysis. She was hospitalized for 21 days until her death.

We noticed that when she needed a dialysis treatment - she was just about totally incoherent and appeared to have dementia. After dialysis, she was her usual, feisty self. One day, the night before she was due for dialysis, a nurse came in to update her wishes - she had been in the hospital for over 2 weeks and the utilization committee neede an update. She was asked a series of questions about what treatments she wanted going forward. My sister and my son were there in the room. My mom said no to further dialysis, yet yes to vitamins, fluids, blood transfusions and an endoscope to detect where her digestive system bleeding was coming from. This obviously was counter-productive, since the endoscope would have helped improve her condition but no more dialysis would end her life in a few days. My sister kept telling the nurse that my mom wanted to die and my mom (according to my son) said - no way - she wanted to be treated & she thought the vitamins & blood transfusions would help. The nurse took the info and didn't indicate my mom's total state of confusion. My mom couldn't even sign the form - it was just a long mark on the paper.

When my son came home & told me what happened, I tried to get her MD to rescind the order...she was in no state to be able to direct her care and my aunt had power of attorney and her health proxy (which my sister had removed from the house and had hidden). We needed a psychiatrist to evaluate her and none was available over the weekend.

It was on a Friday night. By Monday, when a psychiatrist came to evaluate her (no dialysis) she could barely speak and was basically a drooling mess.

It was too late to help her - the weekend lapse until the psychiatrist was available was a fatal delay.

So I know very well how kidney issues can resemble dementia!

Contributor

My heart goes out to you and the challenges you are dealing with. Good for your for reaching out.

However, you might want to investigate 'hospital dementia' where otherwise perfectly normal non-dementia elders temporarily suffer from confusion, even severe confusion, while they are in the hospital or after time in a treatment facility. Researchers are not 100% sure why this happens but it is a real phenomenon and there are things you can do to help.

Good luck!

Smile

Super Contributor

I have to agree with Happy Housewife!