Honored Contributor

Re: My husband and in laws in denial about Alzheimer's

On 11/6/2014 only shops online said:
On 11/6/2014 champagnepoodle said:

Actually you do not die from Alzheimers. Just so you know.

Yes, you do die from Alzheimers. It's just not a disease that causes loss of memory. It is a brain disease. As the brain becomes more diseased, it loses the ability to control bodily functions and to maintain organ function. The organs, including the heart and lungs, will eventually cease to function. The patient dies.

This is true.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, you do die from Alzheimers. It's just not a disease that causes loss of memory. It is a brain disease. As the brain becomes more diseased, it loses the ability to control bodily functions and to maintain organ function. The organs, including the heart and lungs, will eventually cease to function. The patient dies.

That is correct.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

On 11/6/2014 colliemom3 said:

This is true.

I agree.

Respected Contributor

Why isn't her attending physician ordering a cognitive workup? To decide if it's diabetic confusion, toxins from kidney failure, confusion from a fever or Alzheimers?

Maybe a family member can corner the doctor and say "we need to know what's going on, and then take another reading later to see if there is a change positive or negative, so her care can be appropriately arranged."

Honored Contributor

On 11/6/2014 RedTop said: Unless your MIL has actually been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, I would not be quick to think her recent actions are anything more than the usual age related issues. Altered mental status is associated with many health issues.
Alzheimer's is the term frequently used when "dementia" is the observable symptom. Some dementias can respond to treatment. As an old lady, I'd much rather have people responsible for my care err on the side of "reversible" rather than "dying of Alzheimer's". Be aware that people who are cognitively intact develop symptoms of dementia when those around them treat them as though they have dementia. Many conditions may be impacting on this woman's condition, and she should definitely receive a comprehensive workup when her physical condition has been addressed, but hanging the crepe can only make things worse. I think just now in her treatment that cautious "hope" should be contagious.
Respected Contributor

My mom passed from Alzheimer's several years ago, a long process. My dad passed two years ago but from a different, very fast and quite aggressive form of dementia striking males predominantly: Lewy Body Syndrome. It's a combination of dementia and Parkinson's -- he went from living alone, cooking, writing checks to pay bills and driving his car to dying in 6 weeks. When he was initially hospitalized, I started to look for assisted living where my mom had originally started out. However when I got to talk to his hospital-assigned doctor, he said my dad belonged in a nursing home! He couldn't believe my dad went from living on his own at 89 to the patient before him in a few days. Thank God, he didn't have to go through what my mom did.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

On 11/6/2014 happy housewife said:

When a person is on dialysis there are certain toxins that just can't be removed by the dialysis and can cause dementia too if they get built up. Has she been actually diagnosed with Alzheimers or does the OP even realize there are other types of dementia than alzheimers.

Yes, I would agree. Just because U say U R a health care worker, that means nothing! R U a RN, MD or what? If not, than U lack credibility.

Dialysis can be a cause of this kind behavior.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/7/2014 Skylands said:
On 11/6/2014 happy housewife said:

When a person is on dialysis there are certain toxins that just can't be removed by the dialysis and can cause dementia too if they get built up. Has she been actually diagnosed with Alzheimers or does the OP even realize there are other types of dementia than alzheimers.

Yes, I would agree. Just because U say U R a health care worker, that means nothing! R U a RN, MD or what? If not, than U lack credibility.

Dialysis can be a cause of this kind behavior.

Dialysis in itself will not cause dementia, but sepsis, related to dialysis will.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

Has your MIL been evaluated by a neurologist and diagnosed with Alzheimer's? Confusion, agitation, hallucinations, and loss of memory in the elderly have many causes. Alzheimer's is one; blood sugar fluctuations, medications, physical illness, changes in environment, and stress from medical treatments are other causes. I saw these memory and mental health problems in my mother, who did have Alzheimer's -- and I have seen them intermittently in my MIL, who has multiple issues but does not have Alzheimer's. It is a mistake to assume that memory/mental function problems in the elderly are always the result of Alzheimer's.

Honored Contributor

Why are people attacked because they say they have some knowledge of a subject? Not helpful, and quite cruel. OP, you have my sympathy. We are dealing with a few people in our close neighborhood with serious issues. Most families seem to be in denial, whether the issue is dementia or terminal cancer.