Honored Contributor
graceandmercy, I went to a 6 week course for diabetics, and then saw a registered dietician that told me based on my weight, height, and walking 30 minutes daily to eat 30-35 carbs per meal, and one afternoon snack of 10-15 carbs. My blood sugar reading goals she gave me are less than 140 two hours after meals, 120 or less fasting, 110 or less at bedtime. She told me a blood sugar reading of less than 75 should prompt me to eat 15 grams of carbs. I can and do eat a bedtime snack most of the time now of about 15 carbs. I have been doing this for the last 8 years. She also taught me portion sizes for protein and fats. I am suppose to read labels on everything and use those for my carb counts. So far, so good.
Esteemed Contributor
On 11/28/2014 Tissyanne said: graceandmercy, I went to a 6 week course for diabetics, and then saw a registered dietician that told me based on my weight, height, and walking 30 minutes daily to eat 30-35 carbs per meal, and one afternoon snack of 10-15 carbs. My blood sugar reading goals she gave me are less than 140 two hours after meals, 120 or less fasting, 110 or less at bedtime. She told me a blood sugar reading of less than 75 should prompt me to eat 15 grams of carbs. I can and do eat a bedtime snack most of the time now of about 15 carbs. I have been doing this for the last 8 years. She also taught me portion sizes for protein and fats. I am suppose to read labels on everything and use those for my carb counts. So far, so good.

I think those are good goals. I have to eat fewer carbs, but I'm used to it now. We're all different but I think her blood sugar goals are good. I try not to go over 140, but I only test once in the am. I'm more relaxed now, I try not to be so rigid. I'm sure you feel the same after 8 years, thanks so much Tissy, you are a good role model and you give newbies like me hope! What do you eat for a snack?? I would love one of those holiday pepperidge farm cookies right now, they have Milano dipped in chocolate..my bad! Good night Tissy!{#emotions_dlg.sleep} Pleasant dreams!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor
graceandmercy, I would likely eat the cookie!! I like Weight Watchers Jalapeno cheese sticks from WalMart, along with 15 carbs worth of goldfish crackers, or peach yogurt, Del Monte diced pear cups in light syrup. I like Hood Calorie Countdown chocolate milk. 6 carbs/70calories for 8 ounces!
Honored Contributor
Give Emmy sweet hugs from me!
Contributor

Thank you SO much graceandmercy for taking the time to share your wisdom. I'm recently diagnosed D2 and take the metformin once a day in the a.m. I'm going to order that now. I don't have nerve pain b/c I have fibro and have had for decades. Also, pulmonary hypertention and bells palsy. Yep, one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. On O2 24/7. Some times I feel like I should just save my dh money and stop with the supplements. Not like I'm going to get better. {#emotions_dlg.crying} sigh Ok, I off to see what I can get in to. Thank you again.

Chloe's mom

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like another advertisement to me , just disguised more like a personal post.

Contributor

Thank you SO much graceandmercy for taking the time to share your wisdom. I'm recently diagnosed D2 and take the metformin once a day in the a.m. I'm going to order that now. I don't have nerve pain b/c I have fibro and have had for decades. Also, pulmonary hypertention and bells palsy. Yep, one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. On O2 24/7. Some times I feel like I should just save my dh money and stop with the supplements. Not like I'm going to get better. {#emotions_dlg.crying} sigh Ok, I off to see what I can get in to. Thank you again.

Chloe's mom

Honored Contributor

I think Mrs. Grace is right.

LUVPUPS: What does your medical doctor say about your blood sugar? Sounds a little low to me.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor
On 11/29/2014 luvpups said:

Chloe's mom

Do you eat grain and gluten?? getting off gluten and the grains has helped me..it couldn't hurt. I think you could learn alot just looking at his website. It seems to help Parkinson's MS, etc. The Grain Brain..Purlmutter, he was on PBS recently~

~http://www.drperlmutter.com/about/grain-brain-by-david-perlmutter/

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

dp

-- Mae West