Esteemed Contributor

Its been 2 years since I was diagnosed with D2. My A1C was 12! I have my blood sugar under control, with Lantus. I eat according to Dr.Bernstein. My A1C last May was around 6! I have neuropathy and started taking Alpha Lipoic acid about 2 weeks ago. Its a supplement used in Germany for neuropathy and it also lowers blood sugar!!! I noticed my blood sugar has been really low..70's and 80's in the am. I only test it in the am. The biggest surprise, I had some pumpkin pie (YIPEE!) wednesday and yesterday.. and my blood suar this morning was 85!! (We're talking about the whole pie..Not the crust!!) I haven't had any sweets for a long time..my average blood sugars according to my meter has been around 95! I just couldn't believe this! I will continue taking the ALA, waiting for it to do its miracle healing my nerves~ I'm also taking a product called Nerve Fix, that I got from Amazon. I had to post this in hopes that others will benefit! I take 600 mg of ALA in divided doses, that was the suggested dose. You can also get a time released 600 mg. I have a 6 month checkup next friday and can't wait to see what my AIC will be!Smile

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

http://www.drperlmutter.com/lipoic-acid-powerfully-effective-treating-diabetic-neuropathy/

I heard him speak on PBS and also went gluten free months ago..he's a neurologist and recommends ALA~ He has a short list of supplements for brain health. I've also noticed less problems with my memory (had a stroke in '92)...mental clarity since staring ALA and using 5000 units of D3. Will add more of his supplements..wish I had found him sooner!

(His supplement list..will add coconut oil the other 2 soon!)

http://www.drperlmutter.com/grain-brain-seven-super-supplements/?hvid=2vNL2

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

OT The first 4 words of your signature stick in my mind. Such a wonderful reminder to me.

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/28/2014 Still Raining said:

OT The first 4 words of your signature stick in my mind. Such a wonderful reminder to me.

Thanks, I need to remember it daily..Wink

-- Mae West
Frequent Contributor
On 11/28/2014 graceandmercy said:

Its been 2 years since I was diagnosed with D2. My A1C was 12! I have my blood sugar under control, with Lantus. I eat according to Dr.Bernstein. My A1C last May was around 6! I have neuropathy and started taking Alpha Lipoic acid about 2 weeks ago. Its a supplement used in Germany for neuropathy and it also lowers blood sugar!!! I noticed my blood sugar has been really low..70's and 80's in the am. I only test it in the am. The biggest surprise, I had some pumpkin pie (YIPEE!) wednesday and yesterday.. and my blood suar this morning was 85!! (We're talking about the whole pie..Not the crust!!) I haven't had any sweets for a long time..my average blood sugars according to my meter has been around 95! I just couldn't believe this! I will continue taking the ALA, waiting for it to do its miracle healing my nerves~ I'm also taking a product called Nerve Fix, that I got from Amazon. I had to post this in hopes that others will benefit! I take 600 mg of ALA in divided doses, that was the suggested dose. You can also get a time released 600 mg. I have a 6 month checkup next friday and can't wait to see what my AIC will be!Smile

That's terrific!!! I also have had the same results (I'm type2) and started out 4 yrs ago with an A1C at 14% and am now completely off Lantus and do not need any other medication! I read Bernstein's book also and decided his approach made a lot of sense so I just went on Lantus in the beginning and told my Dr. I would not use any of the pills for lowering my BG levels. She said it wasn't usual to go that route these days but let me try it anyway. I also had incredibly horrible nerve pain begin in my feet to the point I couldn't even sleep -- I didn't want anything to do with using the anti-depressant medication approach and did my own search for other info on things that help protect the nerves = and that was alpha-lipoic acid! I started it and within 2 weeks there was a lot of relief and from there the pain completely faded away. After 4 years on it I have no problems with any nerve pain, feel great, my A1C is normal and I don't need any diabetic medication of any sort. I just eat low-carb. My Dr. is thrilled with my success!

Keep at it with the ALA and I'm sure it will help you. You're doing great!!!!!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor
My recent A1C was 5.9. I take the extended release of Metformin. I know some of you cannot take this drug, but it does not give me any problems that I am aware of. The A1C is a recap of the previous 90 days, so I don't think that anything started just two weeks ago be will be represented in a blood test so soon. Best to all of you , it is a tight rope walk.
Esteemed Contributor
On 11/28/2014 CrowHaven said:

<em>Its been 2 years since I was diagnosed with D2. My A1C was 12! I have my blood sugar under control, with Lantus. I eat according to Dr.Bernstein. My A1C last May was around 6! I have neuropathy and started taking Alpha Lipoic acid about 2 weeks ago. Its a supplement used in Germany for neuropathy and it also lowers blood sugar!!! I noticed my blood sugar has been really low..70's and 80's in the am. I only test it in the am. The biggest surprise, I had some pumpkin pie (YIPEE!) wednesday and yesterday.. and my blood suar this morning was 85!! (We're talking about the whole pie..Not the crust!!) I haven't had any sweets for a long time..my average blood sugars according to my meter has been around 95! I just couldn't believe this! I will continue taking the ALA, waiting for it to do its miracle healing my nerves~ I'm also taking a product called Nerve Fix, that I got from Amazon. I had to post this in hopes that others will benefit! I take 600 mg of ALA in divided doses, that was the suggested dose. You can also get a time released 600 mg. I have a 6 month checkup next friday and can't wait to see what my AIC will be!Smile</em>

That's terrific!!! I also have had the same results (I'm type2) and started out 4 yrs ago with an A1C at 14% and am now completely off Lantus and do not need any other medication! I read Bernstein's book also and decided his approach made a lot of sense so I just went on Lantus in the beginning and told my Dr. I would not use any of the pills for lowering my BG levels. She said it wasn't usual to go that route these days but let me try it anyway. I also had incredibly horrible nerve pain begin in my feet to the point I couldn't even sleep -- I didn't want anything to do with using the anti-depressant medication approach and did my own search for other info on things that help protect the nerves = and that was alpha-lipoic acid! I started it and within 2 weeks there was a lot of relief and from there the pain completely faded away. After 4 years on it I have no problems with any nerve pain, feel great, my A1C is normal and I don't need any diabetic medication of any sort. I just eat low-carb. My Dr. is thrilled with my success!

Keep at it with the ALA and I'm sure it will help you. You're doing great!!!!!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

FABULOUS NEWS!!!! Dr. Bernstein's diet was a major help..the ALA is helping as well, its SO good to hear your results! Its made my day..this pain is a real PIA!!OMG to think I can get off the lantus would be a dream come true..! SO happy for you CrowHaven, I hope other's see your post! Thanks so much!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor
On 11/28/2014 Tissyanne said: My recent A1C was 5.9. I take the extended release of Metformin. I know some of you cannot take this drug, but it does not give me any problems that I am aware of. The A1C is a recap of the previous 90 days, so I don't think that anything started just two weeks ago be will be represented in a blood test so soon. Best to all of you , it is a tight rope walk.

I couldn't take metformin, the lantus works for me. Sounds like you're doing great too Tissy!!! Fabulous!Smile

-- Mae West
Honored Contributor
On 11/28/2014 Tissyanne said: My recent A1C was 5.9. I take the extended release of Metformin. I know some of you cannot take this drug, but it does not give me any problems that I am aware of. The A1C is a recap of the previous 90 days, so I don't think that anything started just two weeks ago be will be represented in a blood test so soon. Best to all of you , it is a tight rope walk.

I couldn't take metformin, the lantus works for me. Sounds like you're doing great too Tissy!!! Fabulous!Smile

I always enjoy your posts. Please keep us updated on your progress, and if the ALA continues to help you.
Esteemed Contributor
On 11/28/2014 Tissyanne said:

I always enjoy your posts. Please keep us updated on your progress, and if the ALA continues to help you.

I enjoy yours too, Tissy..your A1C is great..I bet your doctor is pleased! Do you follow a low carb diet too??

-- Mae West