Honored Contributor

Re: My daughter was put on metformin

She did see a dietician @chrystaltree, but you know when you have kids ,you always worry, at least I do

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

I don't think you can pass on or inherit Type 2; I think you inherit a predisposition to acquiring it.  Type 2 is lifestyle disease.  I don't why you think weight is always a factor.  Where does that idea come from?  Most of my cousins developed type 2 when they were in their 40's and not single one is or has ever been overweight.  However, they don't eat well, they eat junk food, they don't exersize.  So, think of it as preemptive strike.  She should see a nutritionist to discuss healthy eating, she should make exersize a part of her life.  Certainly "watch your carbs" was less than helpful.  I hate doctors who say things like that and fail to provide any useful information to their patients.  I don't know what her b.s. was when he prescribed the Metformin.  Perhaps it was in the high normal range and is normal now.  My doc prescribed Metformin when I in that situation, my b.s. was in the high normal range but honestly, I only took it for a month.  I chose to lose weight and I enrolled in a wellness program that taught me how to eat and that lowered my b.s.  

Type 2 diabetes can be inherited. I have Type 1 but when I had genetic testing done, I have genes for both Type 1 and Type 2. There is a genetic component for both types.

Both my children are Type 2 controlled entirely by diet and exercise. Neither ate junk food either. They grew up with a mom who always served healthy food.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter gets plenty of exercise, she works out and  has a job that entails a lot of walking and using stairs. She works long hrs  so , she needs to make good choices with food , and not just grab something. The dietician helped ,and the metformin brought her sugar down to normal

If she goes off metformin, I'm not sure what will happen, because she needs the meds

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

My daughter gets plenty of exercise, she works out and  has a job that entails a lot of walking and using stairs. She works long hrs  so , she needs to make good choices with food , and not just grab something. The dietician helped ,and the metformin brought her sugar down to normal

If she goes off metformin, I'm not sure what will happen, because she needs the meds

The ignorance by cult like diet folks regarding diabetes not having a genetic component is just stupid talk. Every thread in regard to diabetes is sabotaged by this with unproven theories and no hard science. 

Of course a 5 day stay costing over $6000 will cure you claims the shills that work for some of these "healers." 

Honored Contributor

Metformin is a very good drug, very inexpensive and protects your organs from diabetes devastating side effects like neuropathy, heart disease, kidney disease etc.

Honored Contributor

@151949  I feel better about my daughter taking it, because  the meds she must take , makes her sugar go high, and at least they keep it normal...with any luck at all my children have their father's genes and won't get type 2

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

@151949  I feel better about my daughter taking it, because  the meds she must take , makes her sugar go high, and at least they keep it normal...with any luck at all my children have their father's genes and won't get type 2

@cherry....I was researching metformin and the studies being done ......it is believed to be a life extending drug. Studies have proved it helps with cancer outcomes and positive cardiovascular effects. I take it off label for insulin resistance but now I wonder if it helped me to survive a heart attack (widowmaker) where only 6 to 7 percent of people survive.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  I've also read that,  maybe on the link I posted. God moves in mysterious ways,  it might have help you survive

Honored Contributor

If you mean passing on a condition, yes.  I felt terrible at first and then I realized I never would have done it on purpose, I would never hurt her.  It’s genetic.  I risked my life to give her life but I can’t fix a genetic problem no one knew about when I decided to get pregnant.