Respected Contributor

My brush with stroke this week

Last year while I was in the hospital, I suddenly developed atrial fibrillation. Medication failed to stop it, and I had an emergency cardioversion. I knew I was still at risk for asymptomatic a-fib ( I have had a life long history of arrhythmias) so my cardiologist thought it would be a good idea if I had an EKG implant to constantly monitor me. The idea is, real time recordings are relayed to your doctor, and they notify you. On Sunday night I went to the BR and hopped back into bed. I noticed immediately my pulse was racing. I thought it was just a weird little event-but after a few minutes, my pulse was not going down. Luckily, I had a pulse oximeter: best 25 bucks I ever spent. It told me my pulse was up to 168 bpm and to boot, my oxygen saturation was dropping rapidly. My husband got me to the ER, told them what was happening, and one person was starting IV lines while another was hooking me up to a monitor. Faster than you can say "Purkinje fiber malfunction" in walked the cardiologist who began immediately to give me cardiac drugs IV push in an effort to stop the arrhythmia....no luck: yesterday I had my second cardioversion, and now I am home-badly shaken, but I am home with yet another chance at life and health.  I am not asking for advice, but I just wanted to mention that little marvel: my pulse oximeter. Many of us have blood pressure cuffs for home use, but this is worth a consideration. They are inexpensive and reliable. Because I was able to see real time numbers, this little device possibly helped save my life and I was able to get life-saving treatment. Be well, and don't take one second for granted.  It has been a long time since I remotely enjoyed emptying the dishwasher: today, the ability to perform that mundane task took on new meaning.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Re: My brush with stroke this week

@Poodlepet2... It is sure good to know that you caught this in time to save your life and still be with us!💙💜❤️
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2, I am so sorry for what you've been thru, but glad that you & DH acted timely & got you to the ER, what a harrowing experience, Thank You for letting us know what could be a life saving device, I wish you well & sending prayers your way

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2  Thinking of you.  Hope you feel better soon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Poodlepet2

I am primarily happy that you did what was necessary at the time of this incidence, and also that you are home and doing better.

Don't underestimate what you did to save yourself. I've preached for years on this and other forums, Be Able to Read What Your Body is Telling You. That is exactly what you did, or an Oximeter or any other instrument may not have saved you.

You knew something was wrong and acted, so credit yourself with taking that FIRST crucial step. Many die from heart attacks and strokes because they cannot read what their own body is telling them. You were smart, so please give yourself that credit.

I have had a chest heart rate monitor for over 30 years/a Blood pressure monitor for just as long/and an Oximeter for over 20 years. I used these primarily for many physical fitness training to keep Tract of: Heart Rate/Oxygen Saturation Levels, and my Blood Pressure.

I also saved myself with my 2nd heart attack in a similar way as did you. Working in front yard/felt something I did not like. Home alone, I got into our patio room/used my Oximeter and my Saturation was good(93). Then I checked my BP in my left arm, which was fine. Then checked my right arm BP?  Would not even register, no blood pressure.

Called 911 and got my things together and made sure our cats were all safe. While waiting for Rescue Unit checked my right arm again, still Zero Blood pressure.

Was a heart attack and once again my Right Coronary Artery was 100% blocked. Within my first signal of distress till my Cardiologist cleared my Right Artery?  Total of 52 minutes.

While my Oximeter did not save me, my Blood pressure monitor did verify for me what I pretty much was thinking from that "strange feeling", I was having heart attack #2?

Thank you for sharing your story, it just might save someone's life that reads this thread. It also might cause them to think about their priorities in life. A loved one can be here one minute and minutes later be gone.

I send our best wishes to you and also a BIG Pat on the back for being able to read your body so you were able to take necessary steps to save your own life.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I'm so glad you are home emptying the diswasher and feeling lucky to be doing so! Thank you for your advice and telling us your experience.  My prayers to you that you continue to enjoy for years and years the mundane tasks you do daily... they remind us how very lucky we are to be alive.   (I nearly died in 2010 from a fall down the stairs and hitting my head)... I feel the same as you about mundane tasks!  Grateful to be doing them!  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Such great news! Thankful you are around to enjoy another sunrise!

I have an oximeter and a blood pressure cuff, plus a myriad other health-related items. When you live alone, it's better to be safe than sorry. I bought my oximeter on Amazon for something like $15. Well worth the price.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

Wow!  So glad you caught this quickly.  Good luck to you.  I'm glad you are so much better now.

Honored Contributor

Feel better soon and congratulations for listening to your body and taking action.  We should all be so enlightened and now hopefully inspired.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have read all of the responses, and the real take home message at the end of the day is, "Listen to your body".  Act: don't wait-but in my case, I don't always "feel" what's going on. I knew my heart rate was elevated: I have had a lifetime of that happening-and it usually goes down, but this time it didn't. Those numbers on my Pulse Oximeter confirmed that I was in trouble: I wasn't second guessing myself. Thank you all so much for your caring responses: To Life!

Poodlepet2