Honored Contributor

My amazing dental check up!!

[ Edited ]

A few months ago I had asked about gum grafts and also had a foray into oil pulling to try and improve my dental health.

At my checkup six months ago, I ran into a very experienced hygenist who gave me a list of things to change including my toothpaste (Sensodyne), floss (rope), mouthwash (no alcohol) and moisturizing my mouth (she suggested Vaseline which I tried for a bit before moving to oil pulling).

I did every single one and this morning my gums have gone from borderline to right where they should be (4 to 3 if anyone knows dental lingo) plus the oil pulling whitened my teeth. 

I am so happy I was snoopy dancing and still am.  I was so prepared to go in today and say okay give me the referral for the gum graft surgeon and let me see if I can afford it because I want my teeth to stay.  I even had a nightmare about it last night I was so stressed over it.

Nope! 

The dentist and the new hygenist were really pleased and even a bit surprised.  They kept double checking my gum numbers and the dentist was like I'm getting the same improvement number. 

The only suggestion now was to dip my toothbrush in baking soda to try and stop the tartar buildup which I am predisposed to get at the bottom like so many other people.  Done!

If you are having any of the same issues, I am passing their recommendations along to see if you want to give them a try.  

Smiley Very Happy  <------ Me and my happy teeth    

Honored Contributor

Re: My amazing dental check up!!

@Laura14I use Sensodyne every day, either floss or use a waterpik every night and Act mouthwash (no alcohol) every morning.  So far so good. 

Keep up the good work!!

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50  I have thought very seriously about a Waterpik.  It's on my list to check out when I am out and about again.  

Super Contributor

GREAT NEWS @Laura14!  Can you tell me more about the rope floss?  Brand, etc?

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14  okay-I admit my ignorance.  I know I can research on my own, but could you please explain what oil pulling is, what you use, and how?  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Catlady Nicole  My dentist gave me the one below.  The hygenist said you could pick up any kind in a dollar store as long as it's woven floss and not the waxed floss that is mainly out there now. 

Floss.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@kjae  Absolutely! 

All I did is take a tablespoon of olive oil and swish it around for about ten minutes and then spit it out.

You don't have to use olive oil.  You can use sesame or coconut for whatever taste you like. 

Ten minutes is kind of my max before my mouth hurts.  Fair warning: the first time I did it, I looked like a choking chipmunk.  Work up to whatever time you can do and you'll get some benefit.  If the oil is cloudy when you spit, you did it long enough.  

Also, oil hardens so I always spit out into the toilet instead of a sink so the oil woudn't gunk up the pipes.  Other people spit into paper towels and throw it away.  I did that once and obviously misjudged how much oil I had in my mouth.  

Again whatever works for you.  Just swig, swish and spit.    

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14  Thanks.  

Honored Contributor

I ordered a Waterpik so let's see how well I do again in July.  I am so excited my gums got better.  Everywhere I read they said it couldn't happen.    

Honored Contributor

@Laura14,

Great job, and, thanks for the tips!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gCGdJ0dhwS0/VpCSvol97HI/AAAAAAAALHk/GlvbsgemHSM/s1600/Smiley-Teeth8.jpgLOL!