Honored Contributor
I watched "My Big Fat Fabulous........" just yesterday for the first time, and I've come to think that there is a shared code among the morbidly obese and the former morbidly obese. No matter what she's saying and no matter what she's doing, there's not much fabulous about your life when you carry the weight of 2+ typical weight people on a frame designed to weigh much less, and she knows it. ONCE AGAIN, making morbid obesity a cosmetic issue instead of the VERY serious health issue it is!!
Honored Contributor

The families obviously need counseling, too, including basic nutritional and cooking info. You can't fry 3 sausage patties in a half a stick of butter and wonder why your loved one is gaining weight, as shown about two weeks ago. Years ago I was flipping through channels and saw one of these families stopping at Wendy's after bringing home one of these surgical patients. They actually tried to shove a hamburger into the mouth of a baby that was about 8 months old. I turned the channel in anger at the producers of the show, vowing never to watch. I should have been mad at whoever paid for this surgery.

Respected Contributor

OK. I admit it - I watch it whenever I have the time. I have to admire the people who allow their lives to be televised, and I applaud the effort they all go to in an effort to change their lives. I just don't see how they could get so heavy in the first place, but . . .

Anyway, I guess I watch it for the same reason I watch The Biggest Loser. It's amazing to see the changes in people - both in their looks and personalities - when the weight comes off. And you have to feel proud for them in the accomplishment. I guess it shows we could all do better by ourselves if we put in the effort.

Super Contributor
On 2/10/2015 annabellethecat said:

I agree with all of you. I think it is good they have these shows on TV. I had a very good friend for many years.

...She got angry with me and said if I mentioned it again she wouldn't call me anymore. She stopped answering my calls.

She just gave up. Had more shows like this been on TV it might have given someone like her more hope.

Again, I'm glad these shows are on TV. I think they help people who are shut-ins and never go outside.

I'm also glad you posted it here. You never know, maybe someone who reads these posts will see it and look up the show.

annabellethecat, thank you for your compassionate post. It was good for me to read. I think the posts here might also help us be aware of people who might have sunken pretty deep into a bad situation and could use help in getting out before it is too late. They may reject your attempts, but it is important to reach out anyway. - Bird

Trusted Contributor

I watch both of those shows as well. I was also sad about Penny. She was just in denial. After tonight's 600lb life on TLC, there is a repeat of a show called Fat and Back. It chronicles a British TV personality called Katie Hopkins experiment to gain weight and then lose it by eating less and exercising. I watched it when it debut last month.

Apparently in England, she is well know for despising overweight people and thinks to lose weight all anyone needs to do is eat less and exercise. She decides to prove her theory by attempting to gain 40 lbs in 12 weeks and then losing it in that same time period. She is quite abrasive but I was curious if she would change her outlook after her little experiment. I won't reveal the outcome, but if you are interested, TLC is replaying parts 1 and 2 back to back tonight, following the new My 600 lb Life.

Regular Contributor
On 2/11/2015 The Bird said:
On 2/10/2015 annabellethecat said:

I agree with all of you. I think it is good they have these shows on TV. I had a very good friend for many years.

...She got angry with me and said if I mentioned it again she wouldn't call me anymore. She stopped answering my calls.

She just gave up. Had more shows like this been on TV it might have given someone like her more hope.

Again, I'm glad these shows are on TV. I think they help people who are shut-ins and never go outside.

I'm also glad you posted it here. You never know, maybe someone who reads these posts will see it and look up the show.

annabellethecat, thank you for your compassionate post. It was good for me to read. I think the posts here might also help us be aware of people who might have sunken pretty deep into a bad situation and could use help in getting out before it is too late. They may reject your attempts, but it is important to reach out anyway. - Bird

Those are very nice and kind postings.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched the show with Whitney about her fabulous life. It motivated me to begin walking again even though I am only 10-15 pounds over my ideal weight. While she is a lovely person, I fear for her health. I don't understand why anyone would lose control like that.