Honored Contributor

Re: My Son in Law has colon cancer

My dad was diagnosed with Class 2B colon cancer at age 54 in 1984.   He had a colon resection to remove 18" of his intestine, and the the surgeon was positive he removed all of the cancer, so there were no other treatments.   

20 years later the cancer came back, and was Stage 4 when it was found.   Surgery removed the cancer once again, without the need for a colostomy, but my dad had complications and never left the hospital.  A common staph infection went septic, and shut down his kidneys.   

I send you prayers of strength, to turn your sadness into relief that his cancer was found early, and he has treatment options!   

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry to hear that.  Cancer is so scary but it does look like they got it early.  Just to try to ease your apprehension my sister had stage 3 colon cancer.  She had surgery followed by chemo and she has been cancer free for 5 years.  And, her chemo wasn't that bad.  Hopefully, your SIL will be fine.

Respected Contributor

@KCDiva   Sending good thoughts for your SIL.  May he have a successful surgery and an uneventful recovery.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for the kind words. You confirmed my beliefs that he should be fine as they caught it early. I'll know more after the surgery. He and my daughter are recently divorced but they remain close and I am so happy for that since they share a daughter, my granddaughter. He was my SIL for 25 years and still consider him family. My granddaughter would be devastated if they had a contentious relationship. Thank you again. 

Respected Contributor

@KCDiva , I was wondering how your SIL made out with his surgery yesterday. I hope all went well.

Honored Contributor

Most assuredly.  My #1 wish that a cure for all types of cancer comes soon.  It won't be too soon for any of us.  Wishing him the best and will pray for him and the family.

Respected Contributor

Wishing your SIL an easy, complete recovery. Hopefully an early diagnosis is going to help. Prayers 🙏 to him and your family.
Trusted Contributor

@KCDiva,

I am just catching up on the forums.

Please add me to the list of friends here sending good wishes and prayers to your SIL and family.  I hope the surgery went well.  

We never know what life has in store for us. Heart

Respected Contributor

@Mimi NY wrote:

I think your son in law has a very good prognosis as found early being stage 2 .I do hope that no  lymph nodes when tumor is removed will show that it has spread,with that information  I believe is so important, then I would  consider more so chemo,but I know not everyone is going to agree with me but  I believe oncologist push chemo, it is big  money for hospitals,and that is their job.

I know day  after my  surgery the oncologist came to my bed side  ,first time meeting him and spoke about  chemo , I did have a colostomy bag  that I heard was needed dealing with that, was very hard but  Thank God  was removed and had a reversal surgery months later .

I and family member wanted to really wait for pathology reports  before agreeing to chemo if any lymph nodes were involved which Thank God none were, also was stage 2, then I made MY decision.

I did agree to iron infusions as I was very anemic.So I did go along with something that was being offered by oncologist department.

Just would like to say have your daughter,son in law yourself RESEARCH RESEARCH & MORE RESEARCH,on your own.I found so much information and learned so much  one was Chris Beats Cancer.com also Colon Club daughter found that one,she was able to  communicate with others,on website and ask  qustions with fast replies,just a wonderful group of people there.DId change my eating habits in a big way

Last thing I was 20 years older then your son in law when my cancer was found.I was one who didn't think I needed a colonoscopy was I So WRONG.

Will have him in my thoughts and  prayers.,but thought maybe reading a reply from someone who has gone through would be helpful.

There sre many cancer support groups on Facebook.  They have helped me immensely as I travel this road with my own son.

Trusted Contributor

My SIL came through his surgery very well. He is resting at home. I don't have a lot of information regarding the chemo yet as I said he and my daughter are recenlty divorced but very cordial. He has shaved his head for probably at least 15 years and they joked that at least he wouldn't have to worry about losing his hair. Everyone is good spirits. Thank you for the prayers. His birthday was yesterday and pray for many more for him.