Honored Contributor

Re: My RA drug being used in CORONA trials

[ Edited ]

@Tadaki wrote:

WHO is starting a SOLIDARITY trial.  No idea how long a trial takes, but they plan to be working with thousands of people.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/who-launches-global-megatrial-four-most-promising-coronaviru...

They treated a Washington male patient with Remdesivir with positive results but it was only 1 patient so don't know if it was from that or coincidence.

They also used Lopinavir and Ritonavir on a handful of patients in Thailand including a 70 year old woman that it helped.

Respected Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

Ive been taking Plaquenil for 20 years for lupus.  It was a life saver for me and is dirt cheap.  If they find it works for Covid, Im wondering if it will become unaffordable!

Same here. I needed a new scrip this month - I get 90 days at a time - and my doc didn't give me any refills. She usually writes for a whole year. I'm just wondering if the docs have been given guidelines for amounts prescribed because it has been in such high demand. I'm sure enough will be produced, just made me curious.

Valued Contributor

I am on hydroxychloroquine [plaquenil]  for many years. It is being used to kill the covid 19 virus. It has been used in france and korea and kills the virus in 6 days  when used with azithromysin pack. It worked in 90 percent of the cases. I imagine this is what they are using now over here. It is very promising . It was found to work in china a the height of the  epidemic.

cathy from ma

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   Yes I do.  It was stressed to me how important regular eye exams are.  Never miss one.  It has been a miracle drug for me.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  I've been on Plaquinil for about 11 years and it has been wonderful for my Lupus. However,  in November of 2019 I noticed really bad vision problems in my right eye and found out I had a hole in my retina. It happens for many reasons, but I do have my eyes checked every six months. It could be the Plaquinil or diabetes. IDK and neither my Opthmo. or the surgeon would admit a cause.

There were many (seriously, many) patients having the same surgery every week! It was astounding to me. Either holes in their retinas or detached retinas. It's a thriving business and hits all ages to my surprise. 

It's such a great combination with Imuran (for Lupus and RA), that at 72, I have decided to stay on it. No side effects. Other meds for other health problems all have side effects and still not controlled. Makes Lupus & RA a breeze!! I'll live with the eye surgeries; it was the easiest surgery I've ever had. Very happy it was done January 7th (before the virus hit); family and friends could visit while I was recovering with my head down. LOL

My Rheumatologist and Pharmacist both called to say my RX would be changed to 90-day refills and the Pharmacy would be keeping three month supplies of Plaquinil for ALL of their current patients available. They were concerned about a run on the medication and don't want any of us to be without it. Gotta love an independent Pharmacist who knows each patient and their meds when the media goes crazy over a med! I like doing business with local people with a heart; not just out for the money. That's why I've never used a chain pharmacy.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Kachina624  I've been on Plaquinil for about 11 years and it has been wonderful for my Lupus. However,  in November of 2019 I noticed really bad vision problems in my right eye and found out I had a hole in my retina. It happens for many reasons, but I do have my eyes checked every six months. It could be the Plaquinil or diabetes. IDK and neither my Opthmo. or the surgeon would admit a cause.

There were many (seriously, many) patients having the same surgery every week! It was astounding to me. Either holes in their retinas or detached retinas. It's a thriving business and hits all ages to my surprise. 

It's such a great combination with Imuran (for Lupus and RA), that at 72, I have decided to stay on it. No side effects. Other meds for other health problems all have side effects and still not controlled. Makes Lupus & RA a breeze!! I'll live with the eye surgeries; it was the easiest surgery I've ever had. Very happy it was done January 7th (before the vius hit); family and friends could visit while I was recovering with my head down. LOL

My Rheumatologist and Pharmacist both called to say my RX would be changed to 90-day refills and the Pharmacy would be keeping three month supplies of Plaquinil for ALL of their current patients available. They were concerned about a run on the medication and don't want any of us to be without it. Gotta love an independent Pharmacist who knows each patient and their meds when the media goes crazy over a med! I like doing business with local people with a heart; not just out for the money. That's why I've never used a chain pharmacy.

@BirkiLady 

I asked the rheumatologist doing my tele-visit about plaquinil. She said the drug had been found to be ineffective, and would be made available to patients again. 

My doctor gives me this prescriptions  for 90 days, and I was fortunate to have enough pills. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg  Didn't know it was not unavailable to anyone. Thought that was a "possible worst case scenerio" only. It was never proven to be effective. The guy in the White House seldom knows what he is talking about. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Nuttmeg  Didn't know it was not unavailable to anyone. Thought that was a "possible worst case scenerio" only. It was never proven to be effective. The guy in the White House seldom knows what he is talking about. 

@BirkiLady

I heard this medicine was in short supply. Some patients may have had a problem getting their prescriptions filled.

I live in a hotspot area. There was a demand for this drug. 

It saddens me that this drug treatment cost lives. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

What don't they try the natural approach while dealing with this? There are things they can try but won't since they are not Big Pharma Drugs.

Why not try glutathione or Silver Hydrosol in nebulizer or Vit C IV.? They should at least be trying everything out there that may work.

@Nightowlz   It comes down to MONEY.  They are not going to spend money on studying things that can not be patented....PERIOD. Thus anything natural even if it worked will not be in trials.  A real shame.