Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,804
Registered: ‎06-10-2010

Re: My Pneumonia Shot Post Gone?

[ Edited ]

I feel for you, Lilac Tree. I react to several medications.  I have been ill for over 6 months.  Have lost almost 10 lbs. and have been housebound for most of that time.  I get out about once or twice a week and then, usually have to come home in 2 or 3 hrs.  On July 6th they are going to to an endoscopy, colonoscopy, biopsies, and check for anything and everything they can. I will have an anesthesiologist.

 

 They now do it in a more modern way.....all at once. I seriously suspect it's the Protonix I have been taking. I had to go on heavier meds when I had my gallbladder out 3 yrs. ago.  Hopefully it has not done too much damage.

 

 Doctors "practice" medicine to the best of their ability but stuff happens. It is sure no picnic but I am hopeful they can figure it out after these tests and it won't be too serious.  

 

Hoping the Doxycycline works for you.  That is the one they usually give me.  I have never had a pneumonia shot.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  I know you have had your share of suffering.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,997
Registered: ‎03-25-2012

Re: My Pneumonia Shot Post Gone?


@jubilant wrote:

I feel for you, Lilac Tree. I react to several medications.  I have been ill for over 6 months.  Have lost almost 10 lbs. and have been housebound for most of that time.  I get out about once or twice a week and then, usually have to come home in 2 or 3 hrs.  On July 6th they are going to to an endoscopy, colonoscopy, biopsies, and check for anything and everything they can. I will have an anesthesiologist.

 

 They now do it in a more modern way.....all at once. I seriously suspect it's the Protonix I have been taking. I had to go on heavier meds when I had my gallbladder out 3 yrs. ago.  Hopefully it has not done too much damage.

 

 Doctors "practice" medicine to the best of their ability but stuff happens. It is sure no picnic but I am hopeful they can figure it out after these tests and it won't be too serious.  

 

Hoping the Doxycycline works for you.  That is the one they usually give me.  I have never had a pneumonia shot.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  I know you have had your share of suffering.


I've taken two doses of the doxy so far and it looks like it's worse to me.  Redder and a larger circle around the shot area.  And it's the weekend, of course. 

 

This is why I don't take meds.  I don't even really know if this is an infection as she took the symptoms over the phone and said it "sounds like an infection."  I said, "why would it take a week to suddenly appear" and she agreed that was rather strange.  So I don't even know if the med is going to work.

 

Infections scare me because I am immuno-suppressed and can't seem to fight anything.  My so-called immune system spends all of its time attacking me instead of protecting me!!

 

Now watch me start getting side effects (some are really scary) from the doxy.  That would not surprise me one bit.  If this wasn't an "infection" I wouldn't even be taking it.  Now I have to wait until Monday to call her if this doesn't get better.

 

I am sorry to hear of your ailments as well, Jubilant.  You obviously know the ordeal.  Good luck in July. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,997
Registered: ‎03-25-2012

Re: My Pneumonia Shot Post Gone?


@SeaMaiden wrote:

I hope you feel better @LilacTree.  That is why I hesitate to get all these shots they suggest.....


If it wasn't being called an "infection," I wouldn't be taking the med.  Infection scares me more than cancer because of my weak immune system.  See my response to "Jubilant" for more.

 

I am so weary today.  And ticked off besides. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,997
Registered: ‎03-25-2012

Re: My Pneumonia Shot Post Gone?


@Perkup wrote:

I am definitely with you on this one, although my issue goes back quite a few years.  My father became very ill, and tests were ordered.  I was told that they did a few pre-tests and found that he would have likely pased if the had gone ahead with the tests - I don't recall what tests they they were, however the doctor told me at that time not to allow any tests for Dad or for me that were from serums grown on an egg.  

 

Years later, while pregnant, I was given a flu shot.  My arm swelled to about twice it's normal size, was glowing red and horribly painful, plus itching.  I was put in the hospital, arm packed in ice for three days, when it finally went down to a more nearly normal size.  I learned the hard way that I could not tolerate any vaccine grown on an egg.

 

I avoid vaccines now, so I haven't heard whether the shot you were given is grown on an egg, but you need to check into this.  You might have the same sistuation I have.  I am not allergic to eggs and eat them often, but the shots can be very dangerous to me. Your reaction sounds very familiar to me.


Ugh!  Please see my other responses for more details.  I am really in a bad mood today because I fear the med I'm taking and fear not taking it. 

 

I really didn't need to take that shot, but I had one once before and didn't get any side effects.  It was probably a different combination of meds or something.

 

I am really upset.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,050
Registered: ‎01-30-2015

Re: My Pneumonia Shot Post Gone?

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

 

Hello to you @LilacTree,

 

I am really sorry to hear you now have an infection. My hope is this antibiotic takes care of that infection for you. I fortunately am not allergic to anything, except Iron. Found that out during 1 of my many Iron Infusions when I went into Anaphylactic Shock. Another fast trip to the ER with a Crash Cart beside my gurney. Strange, now every time I get an Iron Infusion (had 2 about a month ago) the nurse asks me "you allergic to anything"?  Yep, iron. Always a laugh.

 

Don't why they would move or remove your other thread. Doesn't make any sense to me. This is a Wellness Forum and unless someone turned it off topic, there was info that many may not know.

 

I typed a long reply (who me?) in the Prostate Cancer thread and it strangely disappeared. I wasn't about to try to remember what I put in that reply, as a spent a lot of time searching my memory for the things I typed. Oh well, it is their board.

 

Get well and my best wishes to you any your whole family.

 

 

hckynut(john)


Yep that happened to me with Iron Sucrose! Scary..Now I have to do Iron Dextran..I have to do two a month also....

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,526
Registered: ‎07-11-2010

Re: My Pneumonia Shot Post Gone?

@LilacTree...I am so sorry you are having such an awful time with the shot reaction and now the meds. Smiley Sad  That is why I avoid doctors and meds unless absolutely necessary, but I totally understand that you don't have that option. Take care.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,997
Registered: ‎03-25-2012

Re: My Pneumonia Shot Post Gone?


@catwhisperer wrote:

@LilacTree...I am so sorry you are having such an awful time with the shot reaction and now the meds. Smiley Sad  That is why I avoid doctors and meds unless absolutely necessary, but I totally understand that you don't have that option. Take care.


@catwhisperer

Believe it or not I only take three meds regularly, and if I listened to all of my docs, I would be taking 20.  I only go when I absolutely have to as well.  I lose a lot of docs because of this, I just lost another one (I think) who I had been seeing for 30 years for my stomach issues.  They don't like to hear things that they don't agree with.

 

 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,526
Registered: ‎07-11-2010

Re: My Pneumonia Shot Post Gone?


@LilacTree wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

@LilacTree...I am so sorry you are having such an awful time with the shot reaction and now the meds. Smiley Sad  That is why I avoid doctors and meds unless absolutely necessary, but I totally understand that you don't have that option. Take care.


@catwhisperer

Believe it or not I only take three meds regularly, and if I listened to all of my docs, I would be taking 20.  I only go when I absolutely have to as well.  I lose a lot of docs because of this, I just lost another one (I think) who I had been seeing for 30 years for my stomach issues.  They don't like to hear things that they don't agree with.

 

 


@LilacTree.....I hear ya. I just turned 65 and am going for a "Welcome To Medicare" physical this coming week. Oh joy. I have already had some tests done, and all came back fine, but I know they will be looking to find something wrong with me and want to put me on something. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,344
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: My Pneumonia Shot Post Gone?

Hi LT!  Sorry you continue to struggle with this.  Smiley Sad   I sure hope you are feeling better soon.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,804
Registered: ‎06-10-2010

Re: My Pneumonia Shot Post Gone?

Just a side note, Lilac Tree.  I read somewhere that the pneumonia shot can have a bad affect and interact with steroid medication.  Just wanted to give you a "heads-up" in case you are taking steroids.

 

Thank you for your kind words.