Honored Contributor

Re: My Pneumonia Shot Post Gone?

@jubilant wrote:

Just a side note, Lilac Tree.  I read somewhere that the pneumonia shot can have a bad affect and interact with steroid medication.  Just wanted to give you a "heads-up" in case you are taking steroids.

Thank you for your kind words.

I take 8 mgs of prednisone every day for RA.  My doc SHOULD know that, but I'll bet she wasn't looking at my chart when she prescribed the shot (OR the doxy).  I'm going to look this up right now and make a decision whether to continue this med or wait until Monday to call her.  Obviously I cannot stop the pred or the shot that was already given over a week ago.

This aggravates me no end (not you . . . thank you for the info)!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've got a problem.  I shouldn't have been given this pneumonia vaccine shot.  It is interacting with the steroid (prednisone) and I cannot stop either one.

Called doc, she said the Prevnar (pneumonia) shot is "dead" not "live" virus and I am not in danger of getting pneumonia.  All that will happen is that my reaction to the prednisone will be less than usual for about a year.  In other words, I will not be getting the benefit of 8 mgs, but rather something lower . . . which to me means a higher level of pain.

She still recommends that I take the doxy, but I'm not going to, this is obviously not an infection, it's an interaction that has been done and there's nothing that can be done about it.  She said if it gets worse, I should call her and she will see me immediately.

When a needle goes into your arm, it's in your body and there's no way to get it out.  (MY WORDS)

She at least gave me the courtesy of apologizing for not checking my chart before the shot was given.

And people criticize me for not trusting doctors.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

I've got a problem.  I shouldn't have been given this pneumonia vaccine shot.  It is interacting with the steroid (prednisone) and I cannot stop either one.

Called doc, she said the Prevnar (pneumonia) shot is "dead" not "live" virus and I am not in danger of getting pneumonia.  All that will happen is that my reaction to the prednisone will be less than usual for about a year.  In other words, I will not be getting the benefit of 8 mgs, but rather something lower . . . which to me means a higher level of pain.

She still recommends that I take the doxy, but I'm not going to, this is obviously not an infection, it's an interaction that has been done and there's nothing that can be done about it.  She said if it gets worse, I should call her and she will see me immediately.

When a needle goes into your arm, it's in your body and there's no way to get it out.  (MY WORDS)

She at least gave me the courtesy of apologizing for not checking my chart before the shot was given.

@LilacTree...WOW..... another reason why I don't trust doctors. That is absolutely shameful what happened to you.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@Jubilant  These hugs are for you.  ((((JUBILANT))))

Formerly Ford1224
Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree...WOW..... another reason why I don't trust doctors. That is absolutely shameful what happened to you.

The most ignorant statements I have ever heard.  Why not look for doctors you "can" trust - instead of condemning the entire medical profession?

Valued Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@LilacTree I'm very sorry you've had so many troubles. Very sorry. But seriously what about all the times your doctors have done good things? Done the right thing? Do you ever post about that? Doctors aren't perfect but I think it's like everything else............people complain if something goes wrong but are quiet when things go right imho.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@jubilant  These hugs are for you.  ((((JUBILANT))))

************ Hugs right back at you.  I am so sorry this happened to you.  

Honored Contributor

@esmeesmerelda wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@LilacTree I'm very sorry you've had so many troubles. Very sorry. But seriously what about all the times your doctors have done good things? Done the right thing? Do you ever post about that? Doctors aren't perfect but I think it's like everything else............people complain if something goes wrong but are quiet when things go right imho.

I'll think about it.  Yes, there must have been times when I was comfortable with my treatment.  I'll let you know.  When I think of hundreds of doctor visits over the years, there must have been some that I was pleased with.

Oh yes, a couple of months ago this same doctor was very kind to me and I do think I posted about it.  I don't know how to look up past posts and I know you are good at it, so maybe you can find it for me?

She had told me she'd always have my back.  I have forgotten what the issue was.  But she was kind, I remember that.  Thanks for reminding me.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

Arm still sore and red this morning.  I decided to continue the doxy (I had said I wouldn't) but I still don't really know whether this is an infection or not, so I'd better stay on it. 

Thanks again for all of your support. 

Formerly Ford1224