Honored Contributor

My Jaw Is Stuck--UPDATE

[ Edited ]

Something is wrong with my jaw.  The left side has been bothering me for about a year.  It was clicking sometimes and feeling like it was going to get stuck but never actually did.  Lately it’s been clicking all the time.  Yesterday it got stuck, and it took me about 30 minutes to get it unstuck.  I was talking on the phone around 4:00 and it got stuck again.  It’s 5:45 and it’s still stuck.  I called the dentist to see if I needed to see him or someone else, and his office was closed.  I’ll call tomorrow morning.  I assume he will have to tell me who to see, and it won’t be him.  I don’t know what will need to be done.  Has this ever happened to any of you?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  Oh boy, that is terrible.  I've never had it happen.  Do you think if you put a warm compress on the side of your jaw, that might relax the muscle or jaw joint?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Sounds like TMJ.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mamawrote:

@NickNack  Oh boy, that is terrible.  I've never had it happen.  Do you think if you put a warm compress on the side of your jaw, that might relax the muscle or jaw joint?

@Bird mama  It might not hurt to try it, but I have my doubts that it would help.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

My dentist said that a Chiropractor can realign your jaw to help with TMJ pain (makes sense).

Honored Contributor

@makenawrote:

Sounds like TMJ.

@makena  I had forgotten about TMJ, but I'll bet you're right.  Gosh, I don't want to have jaw surgery.  I'll bet it's terribly painful.  I'll Google TMJ right now.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Of course you must go see a dentist. I have TMJ and sometimes it feels like my jaw is going to lock, although it never has. My ear also hurts for a time when this happens. The best thing I can do for myself is eat soft food for 24 hours. Do you grind your teeth? This also contributes to the problem 

Honored Contributor

My jaw started to hurt this winter, the upper and lower. Some days I have difficulty opening my mouth very wide, but no clicking or getting stuck. My new dentist gave me a thorough exam and said he thinks my jaw is out of alignment. I go for a  special x-ray next Wednesday and I no doubt will need to wear an appliance at night to set my jaw in place. Also, I see a physical therapist Monday for a TMJ assessment. The dentist told me it will only get worse if I don't have it treated. 

Respected Contributor

@NickNackwrote:

Something is wrong with my jaw.  The left side has been bothering me for about a year.  It was clicking sometimes and feeling like it was going to get stuck but never actually did.  Lately it’s been clicking all the time.  Yesterday it got stuck, and it took me about 30 minutes to get it unstuck.  I was talking on the phone around 4:00 and it got stuck again.  It’s 5:45 and it’s still stuck.  I called the dentist to see if I needed to see him or someone else, and his office was closed.  I’ll call tomorrow morning.  I assume he will have to tell me who to see, and it won’t be him.  I don’t know what will need to be done.  Has this ever happened to any of you?

This happened to my former hair dresser....she was in the dental chair when it happened and they were able to help her get unstuck.  I don't know what exactly they did.

I have issues with TMJ....I wear a night splint for it....saw a different doc that custom made it for me....also I had to change lot's of things I was doing or eating that could make it worse.  You never want to have your joint popping like that.  Never open your mouth to wide that would cause it....don't eat hard to chew foods or sticky foods.  I used to LOVE eating Milk Duds....worse thing ever for this!  Also no gum chewing over using it makes it worse.  I learned some techniques to relax my jaw plus I had other issues going on with my neck and upper back from whip lash and arthritis....long story.  

Your dentist may be able to help or they should be able to refer you to a doc that deals with all kinds of jaw issues.  

Honored Contributor

@Janey2wrote:

Of course you must go see a dentist. I have TMJ and sometimes it feels like my jaw is going to lock, although it never has. My ear also hurts for a time when this happens. The best thing I can do for myself is eat soft food for 24 hours. Do you grind your teeth? This also contributes to the problem 

@Janey2  Yes, since makena mentioned TMJ I Googled it.  I'm sure that's what it is.  I do grind my teeth, so I guess that's why it developed.  I called my dentist today after his office was closed and will call again in the morning.

-Henry David Thoreau