Contributor

I have also had problems with my jaw and it was because it was out of line.  If I had a wide yawn (especially if I was lying down)  my jaw would lock while my mouth was open and I would be unable to close it.  The jaw pain was intense because of the pressure being placed o it and It was very scary because you are unable to swallow well when your mouth is open.  The first time that it happened I was about 14 years old and no one (including our family doctor) knew what had caused it.  He thought I had lock jaw and asked if I had stepped on any rusty nails.  After a trip to the emergency room, a doctor gauzed up his thumbs and placed them on both sides of my bottom teeth, pulling my jaw towards him and then down.  This action caused my jaw to realign itself and I was able to close my mouth.  He suggested that I see a dentist to have my bite assessed and adjusted.  This did the trick.  So, please make an appointment to see your dentist and have him check your bite.  Hope this helps. 

Honored Contributor

I just got back from my appt with the oral surgeon that my dentist referred me to.  I have a disc in my jaw that has slipped out of place.  He wants me to take 800 mg. of ibuprofen 3 x day for two weeks and then see him again.  He said that should help the swelling and it should go back in place on its own.  They will try to get approval from my insurance company for a soft guard for the bottom of my teeth for my TMJ.  If it’s approved we’ll get started on that when I go back.

He said this will keep happening, and I’ll just have to take the ibuprofen again. There’s nothing else I can take for the swelling.  I’m so disappointed that this will keep happening.  He said surgery for this is usually not successful.  I didn’t want surgery anyway.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  I was waiting for an update.  Did he say it was bad if you applied a warm compress?  I'm wracking my brains trying to think of a way to make you feel comforted.  I'm glad you don't need surgery.  Bite splints and corrective mouth appliances will probably be a godsend for this long term.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: My Jaw Is Stuck

[ Edited ]

@Bird mamawrote:

@NickNack  I was waiting for an update.  Did he say it was bad if you applied a warm compress?  I'm wracking my brains trying to think of a way to make you feel comforted.  I'm glad you don't need surgery.  Bite splints and corrective mouth appliances will probably be a godsend for this long term.

@Bird mama  He didn't mention heat, and I forgot to ask.  What I had read was to apply ice first and then heat.  That was when I was looking up TMJ though and not a locked jaw with the disc out of place (related to TMJ though).  I'll have to search for that and see what it says.  

The doctor's office is going to try to get insurance approval for the night guard that he wants to make for me.  I do hope it's approved.  It's $1,100 otherwise.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  I never knew we had a disc in our jaws.  

Honored Contributor

@Bird mamawrote:

@NickNack  I never knew we had a disc in our jaws.  

@Bird mama  It acts as a cushion between the skull and lower jaw.  I never knew about it either.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   Make sure you have something on your stomach when you take that mega dose of ibuprofen.  

Respected Contributor

The Doctor's® Nightguard® Advanced Comfort® Dental ProtectorYou

You can obtain a mouth guard at most drug stores ... under $20.   My dentist charged me $300 (my insurance pd, but it is nowhere worth that amount for molded resin).  It was made to fit my upper teeth, but honestly, it is too big (I actually drool), and the guard falls out at night anyway.  Wish I would have simply purchased one similar to this photo. @NickNack

Respected Contributor

This might sound silly and overly simple, but it worked for me...pay attention to how your head rests on your pillow at night.  Sleep on your side and make sure your whole face/chin are supported.  I have TMJ and grind my teeth and wake up with a headache every day, but no more stuck jaw or jaw pain.  Worth a try while you're waiting!

Honored Contributor

@Bird mamawrote:

@NickNack   Make sure you have something on your stomach when you take that mega dose of ibuprofen.  

Thanks @Bird mama.  The pharmacist told me that, and it's written on my prescription, too.  I'm not sure I would have known that.

-Henry David Thoreau