Honored Contributor

@NickNack Oh yea, had it in each shoulder, 10 years apart.  That said, when one was stuck, the other was working, lol. 

When your jaw is stuck, you have no options.  

I would still baby my jaw (both sides) with warm compresses or a heating pad on a low setting - if nothing else it feels good and will keep the muscles loosy goosy :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

I have TMJ and have had it for years. When you speak to your dentist, ask about Botox.  I read about it helping with TMJ problems and would love to try it but I don't know anyone in this burg who does it. Good luck tomorrow, @NickNack.

Honored Contributor

@wishmoonwrote:

I have TMJ and have had it for years. When you speak to your dentist, ask about Botox.  I read about it helping with TMJ problems and would love to try it but I don't know anyone in this burg who does it. Good luck tomorrow, @NickNack.

Thanks @wishmoon.  What do you do about your TMJ?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack  Glad it is unstuck for tonight.  Something to remember for the future, don't ever take any of the "bone building" drugs ie: Boniva, Fosamax, Actonal.  Jaw problems is one of the first side effects listed.  I took Boniva at one time but had to stop because of the jaw "popping"

Honored Contributor

Re: My Jaw Is Stuck

[ Edited ]

@grandma2pkmhwrote:

@NickNack  Glad it is unstuck for tonight.  Something to remember for the future, don't ever take any of the "bone building" drugs ie: Boniva, Fosamax, Actonal.  Jaw problems is one of the first side effects listed.  I took Boniva at one time but had to stop because of the jaw "popping"

@grandma2pkmh   I've been getting Prolia injections for osteoporosis for over a year.  I've had two injections so far six months apart.  I'll be sure and mention that to my dentist.

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack I'm sorry, but jaw problems is a side effect of Prolia. You should probably not have any more injections until you consult your doctor.

Valued Contributor

Years ago, I would have issues with my jaw freezing up.  It was always from eating very chewy foods, like tough steaks, etc.  I haven't had any issues with freezing for many years, as I avoid chewy foods.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@grandma2pkmhwrote:

@NickNack I'm sorry, but jaw problems is a side of Prolia. You should probably not have any more injections until you consult your doctor.

@grandma2pkmh  I'm due for my next injection in March, but I will definitely find out what this is and if Prolia could have caused it before I have it.  I was feeling so good about Prolia, because I couldn't take Fosamax and didn't feel any side effects from Prolia.

I'm not sure Prolia caused this though, as I really feel like I've probably had TMJ since my dentist mentioned it many years ago.  I just didn't have the popping or sticking.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Yes, my right side gets stuck.  I've had TMJ issues on my left side since I was 8 years old.  I really didn't speak up about it for years.  In the 80's (when TMJ was mentioned everywhere) I decided to see someone.  I had X-rays that showed joint wear and a misshappen joint.  My doctor said that they could fix the structural problems but could not guarantee that the muscle memory (pain is in the muscle contractions) would go away.  AND after the structural operation I'd need facial cosmetic surgery as well as dental re-alignment!! I optedto walk away..... and I'm glad I did after hearing/reading all the surgeries during the 80's that were horrific disappointments.

I use bio-feedback and relaxation techniques for the most part ad Advil or Aspirin when really needed.  The last couple of years I've been experiencing the right side getting stuck.  I've found that massaging the joint eventually gets it to relax enough to go back into position.  I used to freak out a bit but don't anymore because it eventually goes back, even at night when I'm sleeping and it wakes me up.

It's probably time to see someone again, and I'm considering it because I'm sure that TMJ solutions have probably come a long way since the 80's.... but I know that the jaw muscles are the strongest in the body and muscle memory is extremely difficult toi re-direct.... and I don't want this situation worse.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Mine began to do that from major stress and abuse....I'd wake up and had lock jaw....was horrid....got much worse since the stress and abuse continued and then started during the day too...broke my teeth off and I swallowed one of them... I feel so bad for you @NickNack - I did not have insurance....and no one to support me or stop the abuse so it is what it is.Please take care @NickNack.

-Do Not Copy Pls-