Respected Contributor

@NickNack PHEW................thought of you. Now I can relax....hope he's right. HUGS and welcome home!!

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

@NickNack One thing I've had around my jaw, under my ear sort of, is when I'd eat or bite down, a giant swelling startes w/ pain....it's a salivary gland thingy doc said... I've been on antibiotics over and over plus prednisone. It looks like a giant walnut sticking out under my ear... I'm not sure about my doc....he seems so darn sweet but we are not getting to the root of the issues. I am SO proud of you @NickNack - I'm just not that brave anymore. I miss getting a candy or ring if we were good patients, lol.....Smiley Very Happy

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

@cbrite  I'm sorry about the swelling under your jaw.  I don't have that, although the doctor saw swelling inside when he looked.  I wonder if a cortisone shot would help you.  The oral surgeon mentioned that if the ibuprofen didn't work we could try a cortisone shot next.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack I am needle phobic............I'll faint....I used to faint at the Vet's....as I was so worried / traumatised about my animals there...........I'd faint right there onto their floor.. Vet got used to talking to me while I lay there.......... I out grew it but it returned... fear is a funny thing...once a person is hurt badly, that experience remains... Maybe I better return to the 'Fear' thread Smiley Very Happy

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Super Contributor

IMG_20180219_182818988.jpgthese are the best night guards ever. My dentist recommend these they are made by a dentist. I've tried so many mouth guards and the problem was they made me clech my teeth more and made my jaw and neck and ears me so bad.

My doctor even put me on muscle relaxers to relax the muscles around the jaw. I even went to Core Phyisical Therapy $500 dollars later and no help. But these mouth guard were the best $30 ever spent. You can get them on Walmart.com Target.com and Amazon.com they do not sell them in stores.You do have to mold them but even if you mess up you can do it over and over again and if you need to cut it you can do that too. 1 mouthguard lasts me over a year before I have to mold a new one. You get 2 in the box. Just make sure you soak it in denture cleaner to keep it clean. Good luck girl, I truly feel your pain 😢

Valued Contributor

ou probably have TMJ , Mine does that and it clicks . It is caused by inflammation or misalignment of the jaw , Mine is caused by inflammation and arthritis , I take an anti inflammatory and that helps a lot . of course you may have to take it for a few days , See your dentist.

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

@twinkieswrote:

ou probably have TMJ , Mine does that and it clicks . It is caused by inflammation or misalignment of the jaw , Mine is caused by inflammation and arthritis , I take an anti inflammatory and that helps a lot . of course you may have to take it for a few days , See your dentist.

cathy from ma

@twinkies  Yes I do have TMJ.  I posted on Friday in this thread that I saw my dentist, who referred me to an Oral Surgeon that specializes in TMJ.  I was able to see him Friday afternoon.  I am taking 800 mg. of ibuprofen three times a day for two weeks.  Then I will see him again in two weeks to be fitted for a night guard.  I have TMJ, and the problem right now is with the disc that cushions the jaw.  I am better than I was last week, but my jaw still isn't right.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@shiloh 81wrote:

IMG_20180219_182818988.jpgthese are the best night guards ever. My dentist recommend these they are made by a dentist. I've tried so many mouth guards and the problem was they made me clech my teeth more and made my jaw and neck and ears me so bad.

My doctor even put me on muscle relaxers to relax the muscles around the jaw. I even went to Core Phyisical Therapy $500 dollars later and no help. But these mouth guard were the best $30 ever spent. You can get them on Walmart.com Target.com and Amazon.com they do not sell them in stores.You do have to mold them but even if you mess up you can do it over and over again and if you need to cut it you can do that too. 1 mouthguard lasts me over a year before I have to mold a new one. You get 2 in the box. Just make sure you soak it in denture cleaner to keep it clean. Good luck girl, I truly feel your pain 😢

@shiloh 81  My insurance covers TMJ 100% so I'm hoping that means that it includes a custom night guard.  He wants to make me a soft one.  If it doesn't cover a night guard I will look into the one you suggested.  Thank you.

-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Are you sure that you don't have a salivary gland stone? I have sjogrens and had one , It got infected and thet was painful , Eating pickles could help moveit , the sour helps. {only if stone is small.

cathy from ma

Valued Contributor

o sorry that you are in such pain , Have you been tested for sjogrens syndrome?

Cathy from ma