Honored Contributor

My Husband is Having a Total Hip Replacement Next Monday

He is 61 and has been suffering for about 5 years, it has finally come to the point where it HAS to be done. He will be at one of the best Orthopedic hospitals in the world, Hospital for Special Surgery, we live about 20 miles away and I don't drive so I will stay near the hospital.

He is fine and I am the nervous wreck.

Have any of you had this done

thanks all 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Re: My Husband is Having a Total Hip Replacement Next Monday

I wish both of you the best (I say "both" because it really takes a toll on the spouse too). My husband has had both knees replaced - one when he was 53 (nightmare) and the other at 55 (much better). It's been about 3 years since the 2nd one.  Now his hips are bad too.  Stupid RA. Anyhow, he says NO MORE SURGERIES.  

He's 58 now which is still pretty young.  Let us know how it goes please!!  If it goes well, I might be able to talk him into it.  Of course, once you do one hip the other one will be next in line.  Then shoulders.  It never ends with rheumatoid. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox@10000Nicknames

I will keep you both near my heart and in my thoughts❤️❤

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Frequent Contributor

Best wishes to your DH. My  FIL had this done almost a year ago he's 83 and doing just fine. He fell and broke his hip in two places he had the surgery done at the VA hospital and they took very good care of him. 

Honored Contributor

He has had both shoulders done, first one in 2001 and the second in 2008, as a result of lifting too much weight at the gym

________

@10000Nicknames wrote:

I wish both of you the best (I say "both" because it really takes a toll on the spouse too). My husband has had both knees replaced - one when he was 53 (nightmare) and the other at 55 (much better). It's been about 3 years since the 2nd one.  Now his hips are bad too.  Stupid RA. Anyhow, he says NO MORE SURGERIES.  

He's 58 now which is still pretty young.  Let us know how it goes please!!  If it goes well, I might be able to talk him into it.  Of course, once you do one hip the other one will be next in line.  Then shoulders.  It never ends with rheumatoid. Woman Sad

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Not familiar with replacement surgery. Besides RA what are the causes? My prayers are with you and your husband.
Honored Contributor

Image result for in my thoughts pics

Valued Contributor

My mom had her knees and one hip done at HSS. Its a fabulous hospital and best in the field of joint replacements. They have their patient intake/surgeries organized and efficient.  All went as planned and her rehab was longest for the hip because of the incision not healing well, not the actual surgery.

As long as he does his rehab exercises his recovery should be excellent. 

Best of luck!

Honored Contributor

My wonderful aunt fell in her kitchen at 87. She was riddled with osteoporosis, and the surgeon repaired it with a pin instead of replacing it. 

No surprise to me, the repair failed and six weeks later, a total replacement was done. 

THAT was totally successful and she got around fine until she passed away at over 90.

Try to focus on how much better he'll feel afterward, and best wishes and prayers to you both.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox,   I had a total hip replacement in late 2016.  The wound was discharging a lot of fluid.  15 days after surgery, I dislocated the hip (you don't want to do that as I was screaming).  I started losing  a lot of blood from the wound and ended up needing 2 pints of blood.  A month after surgery, the dr. had to go back in (I had a staph infection which I received at the first surgery) to clean the infection out.  I was on intervenous antibiotics for 7 to 8 weeks and then a year on oral antibiotics.  What made my situation worse is the fact that I have rheumatoid arthritis and I could not take my RA medicine when I am on antibiotics.  After 2 mos. i could barely walk due to the RA and I would cry.  Here I am still fighting to walk normally and just started up PT again.  My upper leg muscles are very tight.  Your husband will not experience this but tell never to put his operated hip leg up on the tub after surgery because he will dislocate it.  It sounds like he is in good hands.  Although the surgeon I had was suppose to be so good, I would never go back to him as I still cannot walk normally.   Mine is an abnormal story/situation.  Your husband will be fine.  God Bless.   Cat Mad

kindness is strength