Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Husband Want To Postpone His Shoulder Surgery

@I am still oxox   I was told I have a torn rotator cuff too. A friend of mine is a Physical Therapist & showed me some exercises.They helped me a lot. Her husband tore his rotator cuff playing tennis & he hasn't had surgery yet either.

It depends on the kind of tear & the individual.Everyone has to do what's comfortable for them. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I can understand how he feels.  I wouldn't want to retire and rush right into surgery and spend time in a sling and going to PT.  I'd want some time to relax, breathe and enjoy my retirement.  It sounds like it's a chronic condition, not an emergency and he says he's feeling better.  

Honored Contributor

I had a bicep tendon tear and P.T. was the answer, so glad I didn't agree to surgery. I understand your husband's situation is different, but I hope he can enjoy his summer. 

Super Contributor

I just HAD shoulder surgery, for a bicep tendon tear. PT didn't improve it for me. A week in bed on drugs, 6 weeks in the sling, now doing PT. I wouldn't want to do it in the summer. The sling is miserable. It really was quite painful. I didn't drive for 2 weeks and even then it was difficult. Not really easy until sling comes off. I say, no problem to wait. My shoulder hurt for over a year before I had surgery. 

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

With all due respect, I'm not sure it's about the OP being 'torn'... It's his shoulder and it should be his decision when and if he opts to have surgery on it.

I would agree, but it may also have an impact on her. If his mobility is limited and she will have to drive him to and from appointments, physical therapy, other events or help him shower or play nurse during his recovery, then it's a decision she should have a say in.

If it has no real impact on her time or schedule, it should be his decision.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wishmoon wrote:

Recovering in the summer seems like a bad idea. I'd want to enjoy the summer weather and time outdoors and save the PT and recovery for poor weather.

It depends on where you live, I think. For some of us, summer may be the "poor weather." It was 80 degrees here in my city yesterday. Summer can be really hot and humid and I prefer to stay inside in the air conditioning. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many times it heals itself............

Mine did!     

I am not a Dr. and I am not makeing any claims,just telling you mine healed itself

I used "Stop Pain" roll on  ( really great stuff)  for weeks/months and lots of hot  soaks,ect..

Good luck in whatever he chooses.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

With all due respect, I'm not sure it's about the OP being 'torn'... It's his shoulder and it should be his decision when and if he opts to have surgery on it.

I would agree, but it may also have an impact on her. If his mobility is limited and she will have to drive him to and from appointments, physical therapy, other events or help him shower or play nurse during his recovery, then it's a decision she should have a say in.

If it has no real impact on her time or schedule, it should be his decision.

@Alison Wonderland  She doesn’t drive. I guess they’d have to cab it or Uber.

Honored Contributor

I don't know what kind of work he does, but maybe he is thinking there will be less wear & tear after he retires.

I would not be in a  hurry to go to surgery.   You can live with a torn rotator cuff in some circumstances.   Has he had a 2nd opinion?

Not sure why you are in a hurry for him to get done with it.

With less wear & tear, and the right PT he can live without surgery for years  possibly.

Listen to your husband.   The success rate at best is no where near 100%

Honored Contributor

@software 

It is not his job it is commute that would cause the issues, his has a gait issue and uses a cane to commute. He would have to driv e(with his arm in a sling) to the Suburban Railroad and the swtich to the NYC subway. The sling would be on the arm he uses for the cane which would further complicating things.  

I am not in a hurry for him to get it done, if I had my choice he would not do it. But he lives with pain

@software wrote:

I don't know what kind of work he does, but maybe he is thinking there will be less wear & tear after he retires.

I would not be in a  hurry to go to surgery.   You can live with a torn rotator cuff in some circumstances.   Has he had a 2nd opinion?

Not sure why you are in a hurry for him to get done with it.

With less wear & tear, and the right PT he can live without surgery for years  possibly.

Listen to your husband.   The success rate at best is no where near 100%

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.