Honored Contributor

My Husband Want To Postpone His Shoulder Surgery

He is retiring on 4-30-20 and scheduled for the surgery on 5-6-20, the day after his 65th birthday. Last night at dinner he mentioned that he is thinking of postponing the surgery until after the Summer. Post surgery his arm will be in a sling from 3-4 weeks.

He said he is exercising and the shoulder "feels better"

As much as I would like him to be done with the surgery, postponing it and enjoying retirement for a few months might not be a bad idea

I am very torn

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: My Husband Want To Postpone His Shoulder Surgery

I think this is what is called for lack of a better answer, a life decision between man and wife.  Only the two of you should work it out together.

Honored Contributor

I think if he feels that he can wait then let him wait.Maybe it will heal enough that it doesn’t cause too much pain.This surgery is not lifesaving so I don’t see a problem with postponing it.

Honored Contributor

His choice. Maybe he wants to try a little physical therapy.

Respected Contributor

My BIL had shoulder surgery, and had a tough time staying quiet during the healing period.  He swore he would never have the other shoulder done.

But once it healed....he has no further pain.  

To me...that would be worth it.  Maybe think about when he would be best able to handle the "down" time....would it be easier for him to be inactive in May and June, or in the fall months?  

Respected Contributor

Is his insurance changing after he retires?  He may want ot look at the difference in coverage......it may be less expensive if he has it before he retires.

Trusted Contributor

Recovering in the summer seems like a bad idea. I'd want to enjoy the summer weather and time outdoors and save the PT and recovery for poor weather.

Honored Contributor

@Travone 

He can not have it before his retirment due to his comute to work, Car to railroad to NYC subway, and we have already looked at the cost Medicare/ supplemental vs current insurance.

The first option is the most cost effective

@Travone wrote:

Is his insurance changing after he retires?  He may want ot look at the difference in coverage......it may be less expensive if he has it before he retires.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

I totally understand his feelings. I am having knee surgery in March, want to get it over before nice weather comes and I want to be fully outside for the summer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With all due respect, I'm not sure it's about the OP being 'torn'... It's his shoulder and it should be his decision when and if he opts to have surgery on it.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...