Valued Contributor

Re: My First Colonosopy

[ Edited ]

Hey, @Catty2, I hope everything went well and you are recouperating nicely and basking in the joy of it all being over! Good for you getting it done! I bet it is a tremendous relief. Be good to yourself for a few days and let your body and mind recover.  Cat Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: My First Colonosopy

[ Edited ]

@AuntMame

I got home a little while ago so it's all over with.  Thank goodness.  It's been a very stressful few days anticipating going through this.  I appreciate your kind words. 

Respected Contributor

No history of colon issues in my family. I did the Cologuard(sp) test & do not regret it 1 bit. I had a fear of the colostomy....the whole procedure of drinking the nasty stuff & so on. 

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

No history of colon issues in my family. I did the Cologuard(sp) test & do not regret it 1 bit. I had a fear of the colostomy....the whole procedure of drinking the nasty stuff & so on. 

I have one of those at home right now and still scared to try the thing.  It is good until 2020.  Was it pretty easy @TX-starlight?

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Catty2

Glad to hear it is done!

Made this for you..

AC70182D-669D-484F-A71F-4029547B0C28.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@TX-starlight wrote:

I have one of those at home right now and still scared to try the thing.  It is good until 2020.  Was it pretty easy @TX-starlight?

According to their own commercial, that test produces a decent amount of false positives and false negatives. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Catty2 I've had several and certainly any time you have a procedure and especially the 1st time, it is certainly nerve-wracking. I can't answer your question about taking xanax but I agree with other posters here who have said let the doctor and the person giving you the meds that you are nervous and let them help reassure you.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl boy I like that idea - I didn't think about drinking it with a straw. I did as you did and had another glass of ice water to wash it down. I like the idea of the lemon slices, too.

All good ideas for the next time I have to have this test. Unfortunately I am on the "5 year" plan due to a family history. still better safe than sorry.

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@TX-starlight wrote:

@beckyb1012 Yes, it was very easy, with 1 slight exception. I live in a rural area, so I had to somewhat "plan" when to do all the steps,lol. (I don't want to post TMI). It has to be mailed within a certain time, like within 20 hrs of the "sample", I believe. I have to drive 20 miles to the UPS store, so that was really the only issue with mine. Still much better than being tied to home for a whole day, & a trip to Dr. for the other test (at least for me). Just make sure to read all instructions & packing instructions. 

Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012 I also forgot, I received a $25. debit card to use for doing that test.