Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,094
Registered: ‎10-07-2013

@Catty2As I said, I've gone through at least 3 of them.  Yep, the prep ain't great.  

 

But I'll tell you what eases my mind.  I remember that Katie Couric's husband and if I'm not mistaken her sister both died from Colon Cancer.  A Colonoscopy, is the best way to reduce the possibility of that happening to me.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,403
Registered: ‎12-02-2013

@Catty2

 

If the prep stuff is distasteful to you:  chill it before drinking and use a straw to bypass the tastebuds.  The straw will let more of it be consumed in a short amount of time.

 

Had an IV so I never had to count backwards.  You will wake up and it will be over until the next time !  

 

Left, got dressed, went to IHOP for pancakes and bacon immediately afterwards !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,234
Registered: ‎06-08-2016

When friends/family complain about a colonoscopy, I remind them it's much easier than colon cancer.

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,913
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@jlkz wrote:

@Catty2

 

If the prep stuff is distasteful to you:  chill it before drinking and use a straw to bypass the tastebuds.  The straw will let more of it be consumed in a short amount of time.

 

Had an IV so I never had to count backwards.  You will wake up and it will be over until the next time !  

 

Left, got dressed, went to IHOP for pancakes and bacon immediately afterwards !


 

 

 

Hi there @jlkz,

 

You know my 20 gallon story with Go/NuLytely. Chilled? The more chilled the better. 

 

A straw? Bypasses taste buds? A straw has never diminished the taste of anything I love the taste of by using or drinking it through it. For me it prolonged the sumptuous taste of whatever treat, for me, that I was enjoying.

 

I wouldn't even consider looking at those gallons, and then thinking of downing them through a thin straw. If straws eliminate the "taste", why so much interest in LAWS to ban them, other than the material with which they are made? People want the taste, what sense would an ice cream soda or malt make, if a person can't taste it?

 

I learned the best way before I had to down my 3rd gallon. Almost frozen over night/the jug kept in an iced(fresh not melted(melting) at all times/my preference was/is 16oz. Glass as often as I feel able(usually 15-20 minutes), and depending on if I was required to use "the 1/2, one half method", or the single "overnight" method.

 

Finished them all, and only 1 time did I come close to it coming(you know what I mean), and that was because I was told I had 2 hours before my Colonoscopy, nope, it was a Double Balloon Enteroscopy. Then I was told they moved the time up, so I only had 45 minutes to drink the remaining half gallon. Now me using a straw to drink 64oz. of NuLytely in 45 minutes? No thanks my friend!    =^..^=

 

 

 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,913
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@software wrote:

When friends/family complain about a colonoscopy, I remind them it's much easier than colon cancer.

 

 


Me too, and also the usually very uncomfortable rest of life that follows the diagnosis.

 

 

 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,512
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

When I had my first colonoscopy I was nervous.  The morning of the procedure I was in my exam gown, waiting for the procedure with several other patients, all males.  Then they brought in another female who started freaking out ( "I'm scared, I'm going to die..." ) screaming hysterically.  Well they took her in immediately.  I still remember the expressions on the faces of all the men.  I had my procedure and as I was coming to, Miss Hysterical was also in recovery still freaking out.  Fun stuff.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,943
Registered: ‎10-30-2010

Re: My First Colonosopy

[ Edited ]

@Catty2 wrote:

@Lilysmom

 

I had an endoscope done in July and was totally out and they said I would be for this procedure too.  Yes, I've had other people say the prep is worse than the test.  Thank you for the information. 


@Catty2

 

The Prep is definitely worse then the procedure. I don't even remember my Colonoscopy, One minute I was being told to turn on my side, the next minute I was being told everything was fine, given pictures of my colon to keep, and informed that they will see me in 10 years. 

 

I chilled the awful mixture that you have to drink the night before and added a tube of crystal light to it. This was recommended by my doctors office. It made it much easier to go down. Then every 15 minutes on the dot I would make myself drink a glass until I had finished all of the container.

 

You will be fine. Stay calm. Sending good thoughts your way.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 23,393
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@patbz wrote:

When I had my first colonoscopy I was nervous.  The morning of the procedure I was in my exam gown, waiting for the procedure with several other patients, all males.  Then they brought in another female who started freaking out ( "I'm scared, I'm going to die..." ) screaming hysterically.  Well they took her in immediately.  I still remember the expressions on the faces of all the men.  I had my procedure and as I was coming to, Miss Hysterical was also in recovery still freaking out.  Fun stuff.


@patbz Sounds like you went to a horrible place.  I was in a private room before and after.  Never saw men in exam gowns 😧

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,916
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

I have had 4 since I have a family history. I always ask for the pills, rather than the GoLytely. I switched doctors this year and he told me he would rather I use the liquid, but I insisted and he gave me the pills. They are large and you take several at a time, but it beats choking down that viscous liquid. Same effect. Your colon gets completely cleaned out. 

You will have an IV inserted when you get to the hospital. Most anesthesiologists use propofol. As soon as this drug hits your system, you will be asleep. The whole thing is over in under an hour. Easy peasy. Really and truly.

Best of luck to you!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,580
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@patbz wrote:

When I had my first colonoscopy I was nervous.  The morning of the procedure I was in my exam gown, waiting for the procedure with several other patients, all males.  Then they brought in another female who started freaking out ( "I'm scared, I'm going to die..." ) screaming hysterically.  Well they took her in immediately.  I still remember the expressions on the faces of all the men.  I had my procedure and as I was coming to, Miss Hysterical was also in recovery still freaking out.  Fun stuff.


@patbz Sounds like you went to a horrible place.  I was in a private room before and after.  Never saw men in exam gowns 😧


@SeaMaiden, I've not had a colonoscopy yet but 2 years ago I had an endosocopy.  I was in an area of the hospital where they do both procedures one right after the other. Some of us were getting the end. and some the colin.  We were all in one big area, bed after bed, with curtains totally surrounding our little area. 

 

I never saw anyone, man or woman, walking around in their gown but you could hear everything going on.  They wheeled you into a separate room for the procedure then we were brought back to our same area until we woke up and they talked to us.  No one was freaking out about anything but some of the patients were very funny coming out of that twilight sleep.  LOL