Honored Contributor

Re: My First Colonosopy

[ Edited ]

@Reever

Quoting you:

"many people may not be aware there is no procedure to check the small intestine".

There is a procedure to check the small intestine. I had this done in June of 2008. On my 1st inpatient day in the hospital, I had this procedure done for the small intestine, which took several hours. On my 3rd day as an inpatient, I had the same done on my large intestine(colon), which also took hours.

The same type of procedure was done for both with the same type of equipment. To reach the small intestine to the marked point from the "upper" procedure. The lower  procedure, done 2 days later, "entered through the anus", and had to go through the Valve that separates the upper from the lower. Mine unfortunately was hinged backwards, so the doctor had to improvise to reach the small intestine marked point.

This increased the length of time of the procedure even more because of the inverse separation valve. Right off hand, I can't remember the exact name for the valve, but the lengthy procedure was hard for me to forget, and even worse for my wife, who was waiting for many hours.

Long enough so will leave it at this. I have mentioned these specific procedures many times on this forum, as I have had them done a total of 5 times. There were 2 in 2008 and 3 again in 2011-2012.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Reever

Quoting you:

"many people may not be aware there is no procedure to check the small intestine".

There is a procedure to check the small intestine. I had this done in June of 2008. On my 1st inpatient day in the hospital, I had this procedure done for the small intestine, which took several hours. On my 3rd day as an inpatient, I had the same done on my large intestine(colon), which also took hours.

The same type of procedure was done for both with the same type of equipment. To reach the small intestine to the marked point from the "upper" procedure. The lower  procedure, done 2 days later, "entered through the anus", and had to go through the Valve that separates the upper from the lower. Mine unfortunately was hinged backwards, so the doctor had to improvise to reach the small intestine marked point.

This increased the length of time of the procedure even more because of the inverse separation valve. Right off hand, I can't remember the exact name for the valve, but the lengthy procedure was hard for me to forget, and even worse for my wife, who was waiting for many hours.

Long enough so will leave it at this. I have mentioned these specific procedures many times on this forum, as I have had them done a total of 5 times. There were 2 in 2008 and 3 again in 2011-2012.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  Are you speaking of a sigmoidoscopy?  

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

No. The Sigmoidoscopy was what I had done back in the 1970's. Since it checks very little of the colon in comparison to a Colonoscopy, I assume it might still be done for other reasons.  I had 2 of them decades ago, and the prep, if I remember correctly, was not to eat solids for a couple days, and then give yourself an enema.

Those were relatively short procedures and no anesthesia was given before or during the procedure.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor
Good news is my doctor said these tests will be a thing of the past soon. Everything is switching to digital imaging. My grandmother lived until 97 never getting this test. I'm sure it saves lives but its a huge money maker for gastroenterologists.
Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:
Good news is my doctor said these tests will be a thing of the past soon. Everything is switching to digital imaging. My grandmother lived until 97 never getting this test. I'm sure it saves lives but its a huge money maker for gastroenterologists.

Money maker?  Mine revealed colon cancer....not a polyp but cancer in the colon wall.  Money maker?

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Money maker?  Mine revealed colon cancer....not a polyp but cancer in the colon wall.  Money maker?

Getting cancer and all that entails would make more money for the doctors and hospitals than a test wouldn't it? 

Honored Contributor

@Zhills

I agree with you. Hear the same old tunes about so an so living to 105/don't run in the family/something new is just down the road, blah, blah, blah, bla blah! Now it's the Gastro Docs making tons of money! Yeh, rite. 

Hey, @Zhills! If @Reever and whomever else are willing to "roll the dice" as an adult?  If they are willing to gamble when it comes to living an old(whatever that is) age life, and "actually living", not just existing? I ain't one of them, and no way I would put my wife and remaining family through such a preventable way to die.

"To Each Be Their Own"!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva

Shame on you now!   =^..^=   You aren't allowed to use mathematical facts when it comes to these "rich" doctors.

Now if anyone is getting richer by people choosing TO HAVE A COLONOSCOPY, it is the insurance companies. Now you know that they would rather pay hundreds of thousands of $$$$$ to treat a person's colon cancer than a few thousand for a Colonoscopy!

The reasons(I prefer to use excuses) some choose to give when it comes to this specific topic! Wish they would just "spit out the real reasons(excuses)" and quit beating around the b*sh.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  You present the facts as well as I have ever seen.  Some will never hear them because they don't want to hear them! 

I wish them well.

And, Thank God for people like you, John,  who are willing to share their experiences to help others.  Best of health to you and Cindy.

Respected Contributor
There's a commercial running for Cologuard on my local TV. My doctor says its not 100 percent but better than nothing.