Valued Contributor

Re: My First Colonosopy

[ Edited ]

@aubnwa01 wrote:

Is it normal to have to wait a week for the results? 

@aubnwa01,

No, waiting for results is not normal for me and my multiple colonoscopies through the years. With each one, the gastro has told me the results as soon as the procedure is over. And, I always get a pretty photo of my colon as a parting gift along with an instruction of how long I can wait 'til my next one.  

Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

Is it normal to have to wait a week for the results? 

@aubnwa01,

No, waiting for results is not normal for me and my multiple colonoscopies through the years. With each one, the gastro has told me the results as soon as the procedure is over. And, I always get a pretty photo of my colon as a parting gift along with an instruction of how long I can wait 'til my next one.  

@AspenGrove  The OP may have meant results of a biopsy.  Yes, you do talk to your doctor after the procdure where he/she will indicate what was found, if anything.

But if a polyp is removed, the biopsy can take up to a week to get the results.

I also never heard of leaving after the procdure not knowing what was found. 

Sending the best to the OP.   I would hope no doctor would handle the situation that way.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Kitty Galore,

With every colonoscopy I’ve had, once I’m taken inside the day surgery unit and readied for the procedure, I’m given the opportunity to “go” as needed, right up until I am wheeled into the procedure room.   Since I couldn’t drink anything after midnight, I didn’t have overwhelming urges to go.   

The VA insists that my husband do a 2 day prep for a colonoscopy, which is very hard as a diabetic.   We make sure he drinks a lot of white grape juice, Sprite, and sweet tea to keep his blood sugar high.   

I have always felt hungry before and after the procedure, but never to the point of being sick- -just ready to eat once the test is over.   Sending very best wishes to you!

@RedTop  Thank you for your reply,   Your  information is very helpful to know going into this. I'll just make sure to tell my husband we're going out to breakfast afterwards! 😀   

Thanks again 😺

Respected Contributor
I had a friend who had a colonoscopy. She followed the prep guidelines but the colonoscopy was scheduled at 7am and she was still taking dumps. They had to cancel the procedure. She opted not to re take the exam because of all the trouble. I fear for her but she insists the test is too invasive.
Valued Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@AspenGrove  The OP may have meant results of a biopsy.  Yes, you do talk to your doctor after the procdure where he/she will indicate what was found, if anything.

But if a polyp is removed, the biopsy can take up to a week to get the results.

I also never heard of leaving after the procdure not knowing what was found. 

Sending the best to the OP.   I would hope no doctor would handle the situation that way.

@Cakers3,

Yes, I do realize the OP may have meant waiting the results of the biopsy, so I assume she had her procedure done outside a hospital setting. In my case, any removed polyps have always been taken to the hospital's lab immediately because my colonoscopies have always been done in a hospital, outpatient section. In that way, the gastro gets an immediate report from the lab so I have never left a colonoscopy without knowing exactly what was found or not found, as the case may be.  

Super Contributor

Instead of a colonoscopy, I just had to submit a stool sample.  To be honest, if I had to do one I would never do it.  

Honored Contributor

Re: My First Colonosopy

[ Edited ]

@Reever

It is very hard for me to believe your friend followed ALL the prep guidelines, especially if hers included a gallon of Go/NuLytely, and downed the entire gallon.

Also wonder how she "insists" it is too invasive, since she did not have it done, nor was invaded. Speculative thinking, she is rolling the dice, and hopefully she does not find out how truly "invasive" it will be if her roll comes up with the wrong numbers.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

Instead of a colonoscopy, I just had to submit a stool sample.  To be honest, if I had to do one I would never do it.  

@kitty45

If polyps develop into colon cancer you will have a lot more done than a simple Colonoscopy procedure. NEVER is a dangerous word, especially on this topic. Your choice, your future. And the belief it only happens to others!  

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@kitty45 wrote:

No one just has to submit a stool sample and not do a colonoscooy, because colonoscopy is the gold standard and nothing out there replaces its value.

Respected Contributor
Most polyps do not develop into cancer just like most moles do not develop into melanoma but there is a small chance some do so they preventively remove any polyps they find. Many people may not be aware there is no procedure to check the small intestine which has more surface area than the large intestine. Doctors are focusses on the colon but ignore the small intestine. Why don't they at least give Cat Scans? My doctor refused to give me a referral for a cat scan as a preventative. He claims people only get them AFTER the fact which is crazy to me.