Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@GinaV24

I did drink it through a straw as suggested.  Then you have to drink 32 oz of water.  I chewed gum to get the taste out of my mouth.  It's over and am just waiting for the results now. 

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@TX-starlight wrote:

No history of colon issues in my family. I did the Cologuard(sp) test & do not regret it 1 bit. I had a fear of the colostomy....the whole procedure of drinking the nasty stuff & so on. 

I have one of those at home right now and still scared to try the thing.  It is good until 2020.  Was it pretty easy @TX-starlight?

@beckyb1012 Yes, it was very easy, with 1 slight exception. I live in a rural area, so I had to somewhat "plan" when to do all the steps,lol. (I don't want to post TMI). It has to be mailed within a certain time, like within 20 hrs of the "sample", I believe. I have to drive 20 miles to the UPS store, so that was really the only issue with mine. Still much better than being tied to home for a whole day, & a trip to Dr. for the other test (at least for me). Just make sure to read all instructions & packing instructions. 

That does cause for some planning.  The debit card is not something I had heard of.  Thanks @TX-starlight

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Re: My First Colonosopy

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012

Cologuard! Is far from 100% accurate. 1 of the 2 friends of mine that died of Colon Cancer, relied on this test, and he is no longer living. He got a FALSE NEGATIVE result, which is not rare, and he trusted the results. The other friend did neither procedure, and it caused his death.

I personally would be more concerned(most say worried) about getting a result that is not 100%, so why take this non-accurate test for Colon Cancer? I wouldn't!

My 15 Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies were far from the worst procedures I have had done over the years, even the 2 Colonoscopies I had with Zero Anethesia.

Cologuard? Might as well put a yes and no note in a hat and pull 1 out and believe it is right.  My opinion of Cologuard? Spelled out pulling no punches, "just the facts ma'am"!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

No history of colon issues in my family. I did the Cologuard(sp) test & do not regret it 1 bit. I had a fear of the colostomy....the whole procedure of drinking the nasty stuff & so on. 

Colostomy and colonoscopy are tow different things. In this context, I think you meant you are afraid of the diagnostic procedure colonoscpy.. 

A colostomy is a surgical procedure by which a portion  of the colon is removed. 

Honored Contributor

More and more doctor's in my area are now having patients use a combination of laxatives and Gatorade for the prep. 

My best friend had to do the Gatorade.  I believe she said she had to mix Miralax powder into the Gatorade.  She had to drink a lot of it but she's had it both ways and said it was much better than the Golightly.   

Valued Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@beckyb1012

Cologuard! Is far from 100% accurate. 1 of the 2 friends of mine that died of Colon Cancer, relied on this test, and he is no longer living. He got a FALSE NEGATIVE result, which is not rare, and he trusted the results. The other friend did neither procedure, and it caused his death.

I personally would be more concerned(most say worried) about getting a result that is not 100%, so why take this non-accurate test for Colon Cancer? I wouldn't!

My 15 Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies were far from the worst procedures I have had done over the years, even the 2 Colonoscopies I had with Zero Anethesia.

Cologuard? Might as well put a yes and no note in a hat and pull 1 out and believe it is right.  My opinion of Cologuard? Spelled out pulling no punches, "just the facts ma'am"!

hckynut(john)

We go to a major medical center that actually does a great deal of research for Cologuard/Exact Sciences and has many doctors that work for Exact Sciences. The center refuses to use Cologuard, claiming that the research results on the accuracy of the test are poor. My doctor similarly refuses to prescribe the test. 

I'm sorry about your friends, John. I have a friend who's dying of colon cancer and it's a horrible, horrible thing. 

Trusted Contributor

@Catty2, checking in to be sure you're ok!  Hope you agree with most of us, the prep is not fun but the procedure is nothing -

Valued Contributor

Re: My First Colonosopy

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@beckyb1012

hckynut(john)

@hckynut,

I believe I posted about this once before, but here I go again because it's so vital. I am the poster child for why one doesn't ever want to trust Cologuard. I was not of high risk and was ready for my baseline colonoscopy several years ago. I did the Cologuard test and it came back with a negative result. Thank goodness for my wonderful doctor who instructed me to have my baseline colonoscopy anyway.  The colonoscopy found one renegade polyp with a very early stage cancer cell. Polyp was removed, lymph nodes checked, several follow-up colonoscopies through the years ... and I am totally fine.  Had I trusted the false negative of the Cologuard test, things would have turned out very differently for me. After my experience, all family and friends have embraced their colonoscopies! Yay. 

Honored Contributor

Another thing I would recommend against is a "virtual colonoscopy" .  I cannot even really explain what it is but a radiologist uses x-rays or a CT Scan. 

Someone I know was having issues and her doctor sent her for this and she was told she had an internal hemmorhoid (sp?).  she continued having problems so her doctor sent her for a colonoscopy and she had colon cancer.  She went through surgery and is getting treatment right now.  It was a miserable surgery and a long and painful recovery.   

Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove

Thank you for your response. I have typed about the importance of a Colonoscopy so many times on this forum, I can't honestly say I remember your post about your procedure. I am very happy that you and your doctor made the right decision.

For me, I have been an overly LOUD proponent of everyone 50 getting a Colonoscopy, or sooner if genetics enters the picture. Between the many men I worked with over the years, including every man in my Adult Hockey League, (which was many hundreds) which  I operated for 52 years. Unfortunately, 2 of my good friends, thought it only happens to others. May they both Rest in Peace!

Appreciate you adding your personal experience with this Preventable Deadly Disease, and I hope your experience will open the eyes of everyone here that reads it.  If it helps save only 1 person, it is worth SHOUTING IT OUT! No person is immune from this disease and a couple days out of ones life to have this procedure, could possibly add many years of a healthy life for their future.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)