Valued Contributor

Re: My First Colonoscopy is Under my Belt!

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@AspenGrove, I was so nervous about getting this done that I asked to just do Cologuard.  Then when I found out insurance wouldn't pay, I almost pleaded for it.  My own family doctor told me no but she was referring me to another doctor for the test and told me to speak to him.  I'm now positive she knew he was going to say no.  LOL

And when I asked him, his answer wasn't just a no, it was an absolutely not.  He said there are way too many false negatives and false positives.

Everyone has to do what they are comfortable doing but I've never understood people saying they have no family history.  Family history starts somewhere. 

@Lipstickdiva, I know I speak for many on this board when I say congratulations on taking care of you!  You did GREAT. And re: your comment "family history starts somewhere" ... truer words were never spoken!  In fact, right after I had mine done, my sibling (and friends) all went to have theirs done.  I was so proud of all of them, too.  And several had multiple polyps removed, so they're now all on board the colonoscopy train, as well. Ha! 

Respected Contributor

I just turned 50 and I'll have mine in June.

Esteemed Contributor

After watching an uncle die of colon cancer, I have never understood why some are unwilling to have one.  Come on ladies, pull up your big girl panties!

Trusted Contributor

A colonoscopy really isn't a big deal at all. Yes, I know, matter of opinion.  The worst part is the prep and being sore from using the restroom.  I cannot imagine skipping it and chancing being in the advanced stages of cancer. 

Super Contributor

Good for you and thank God for good results!  I totally agree with you that it is not bad at all.  I also put my first one off a few years due to being afraid but those fears were totally unfounded.  I also had good results and was told to come back in 10 years and, here it is 10 years later and without hesitation I called and scheduled for June.  That's great advice about staying hydrated so they can get the IV in easily!  Reva

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I am in my 2nd part of prep now. Last night was Magnesium Ciltrate, no sleep , in th bathroom all night. Then at 4 the Suprep with all the liquid. Much easier but still chained to the bathroom. Hopefully I will get some sleep and do my 2nd Suprep and go to my appointment. My first one at age 58. Just kept putting it off until I read it is the 3rd leading fatal cancer and the most preventable. I get prophofol ( sp?). Not going to lie the prep is a PIA but by tomorrow afternoon it will all be over.

My DH prep was to drink 2 bottles of Mag Cit and take 2 Dulcolax pills, nothing more than that, why the Suprep too?? Trust me, the Mag Cit was sufficient. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GCR18 

From my experience, I think your friends husband had a Sigmoidoscopy, which only views the lower part of the colon. I say that because I had 2 of them, many decades ago, and in the Doctor's Office. No anesthesia, and wide awake. Not fun, but much better than the 2 Real Colonoscopies I had in 2008, the exact same way.

It's a shame this man did not follow up and said "never again". His life might have been much longer, and not having suffering so much from this horrible way to die.

It's a sad story, but once again points out how important having a Colonoscopy can be.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I am in my 2nd part of prep now. Last night was Magnesium Ciltrate, no sleep , in th bathroom all night. Then at 4 the Suprep with all the liquid. Much easier but still chained to the bathroom. Hopefully I will get some sleep and do my 2nd Suprep and go to my appointment. My first one at age 58. Just kept putting it off until I read it is the 3rd leading fatal cancer and the most preventable. I get prophofol ( sp?). Not going to lie the prep is a PIA but by tomorrow afternoon it will all be over.

My DH prep was to drink 2 bottles of Mag Cit and take 2 Dulcolax pills, nothing more than that, why the Suprep too?? Trust me, the Mag Cit was sufficient. 

@Shelbelle My Dr said because your colon doesn’t like to be cleaned out and makes a mucus that impedes results. So if we are going to do this we are doing it right. I just follow orders.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@AspenGrove 

Thank you for your post.   DH had one in early April and we were just talking about this.    I had a Cologuard last year.   No family history either and my then PCP said I was a good candidate for it and gave me the RX for it.  It too was negative.

Fast forward to my first visit with my new PCP and she really made a good argument for me getting a colonoscopy.   I've been waivering as to which way to go but after reading your post, I'm calling her tomorrow to get a colonoscopy scheduled.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

After watching an uncle die of colon cancer, I have never understood why some are unwilling to have one.  Come on ladies, pull up your big girl panties!

@Still Raining   I'm sorry for your loss.  My mother died from colon cancer, too.

I think all the bravado by some is fear that something will be found, so they rely on Cologuard instead.  False positives means a colonoscopy anyway.  And a false negative could very well mean advanced colon cancer down the road.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh