Honored Contributor

Re: My First Colonoscopy is Under my Belt!

@haddon9 wrote:

"If anyone is putting this off, please just get it done.  It's really nothing.  Even the prep wasn't as bad as I thought."

It's rare but any invasive procedure is not 100% foolproof and is always safe.  Complications can and have happened.   I think that's something that one should consider....always weigh the pros & cons.

@haddon9 

I totally agree. Any invasive procedure has risks which every patient should understand. For me most necessary procedures(optional or not) the benefits far outweigh any possible risks. Each person can make their own choices, while also understanding some of the possible consequences for that choice.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

LipstickDiva

Thanks for your well wishes.  Your story is sad and it gives much food for thought.  I am not one to rush to the doctor but do go  for checkups.  I did wait on my symptoms because of fear and not wanting to know and hoping it would all go away.  I am not good when it comes to anything medical as are so many of us but I realize how foolish this is because early detection is vital in many cases.  I do have to say despite my fears I try to do what is good for my health,

Enjoy the day and thanks for sharing your story, hopefully this forum will help others.

Honored Contributor

I took all pills for my prep, easy as can be!!

Esteemed Contributor

I am in my 2nd part of prep now. Last night was Magnesium Ciltrate, no sleep , in th bathroom all night. Then at 4 the Suprep with all the liquid. Much easier but still chained to the bathroom. Hopefully I will get some sleep and do my 2nd Suprep and go to my appointment. My first one at age 58. Just kept putting it off until I read it is the 3rd leading fatal cancer and the most preventable. I get prophofol ( sp?). Not going to lie the prep is a PIA but by tomorrow afternoon it will all be over.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good job.  I was scared to do it based on stories I read here.  Did it and thought that was it?  I found the entire thing a minor inconvenience. 

My friend passed from cancer.  I remember her telling me her husband had his first colonoscopy at the Drs office and was wide awake.  Never found out why, but he said never again.  He was having issues and ignored them.  Finally rushed to the hospital and they determined he had stage 4 colon cancer.  

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva   "If anyone is putting this off, please just get it done.  It's really nothing.  Even the prep wasn't as bad as I thought."

It's rare but any invasive procedure is not 100% foolproof and is always safe.  Complcations can and have happened.   I think that's something that one should consider....always weigh the pros & cons.

A colonoscopy is way more fun than colon cancer.

Esteemed Contributor

Well it’s 4:30 a.m. I just finish my 3rd wave of prep. I am feeling good. I powered through it. Just waiting for my appointment at 9 procedure at 10. I even got some sleep last night about 5 hours. The procedure itself doesn’t bother me at all. I wish now looking it at from the end of completing the prep, I wish I did it on time and didn’t put it off.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Last summer my pcp ordered the Cologuard kit for me.  That was a much better option for me, I work so I didn't have to take two days off and that was quick and easy, non invasive and trouble free.  It's not right for everyone but it was right for me.  People who don't want screening colonoscopies should ask their doctors about it.  It's covered by Medicare and most if not all insurers.        

@chrystaltree , I've posted this before but here I go again because it's that important. I did Cologuard and it came out totally negative. I had no history, issues, etc.  Thankfully, I have a wonderful MD who told me to get my baseline colonoscopy anyway because Cologuard has so many false negatives. Well, guess what? I had one polyp and it turned out to be a very early stage cancerous one, which they removed during that colonoscopy.  (I had follow-up colonoscopies and am fine with no further treatment needed. No additional polpys have appeared so now I can go 5 years before my next one.)

Had my wonderful doc not instructed me to do the baseline colonoscopy, things would have turned out much differently for me. So,  I am the poster child for why everyone must get a baseline at 50 and then follow-up colonoscopies—even those of us without family history or symptoms.  Cologuard failed me (and many others according to my doc and gastro).  

@AspenGrove, I was so nervous about getting this done that I asked to just do Cologuard.  Then when I found out insurance wouldn't pay, I almost pleaded for it.  My own family doctor told me no but she was referring me to another doctor for the test and told me to speak to him.  I'm now positive she knew he was going to say no.  LOL

And when I asked him, his answer wasn't just a no, it was an absolutely not.  He said there are way too many false negatives and false positives.

Everyone has to do what they are comfortable doing but I've never understood people saying they have no family history.  Family history starts somewhere. 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva   "If anyone is putting this off, please just get it done.  It's really nothing.  Even the prep wasn't as bad as I thought."

It's rare but any invasive procedure is not 100% foolproof and is always safe.  Complcations can and have happened.   I think that's something that one should consider....always weigh the pros & cons.

@haddon9, this is very true.  I personally know someone who ended up with a perforated bowel from the procedure.  However, I fully believe the pros outweigh the cons.

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Well it’s 4:30 a.m. I just finish my 3rd wave of prep. I am feeling good. I powered through it. Just waiting for my appointment at 9 procedure at 10. I even got some sleep last night about 5 hours. The procedure itself doesn’t bother me at all. I wish now looking it at from the end of completing the prep, I wish I did it on time and didn’t put it off.

@Nancy Drew, the important thing is that you are doing it now!