Honored Contributor

Re: My First Colonoscopy is Under my Belt!

My father had colon cancer.  He was not high risk, and he was one of 11 children and no one else had it.

He went to the doctor because his stool was getting smaller and thinner.  There was a tumor in his colon blocking passage.

Anytime anyone has a change in bowel movements, they should see their doctor and get regular colonoscopies.

Respected Contributor

I (like you) had my first one at age 51.  I was supposed to do it at 50 but I put it off because I didn’t want to go through it.   The next year my daughter’s soon to be father in law was diagnosed with colon cancer.  He was the type of man who wouldn’t go to the doctor for checkups, etc.  He made it to the wedding in a wheelchair and died a month later.  That’s when I said to myself you need to get the colonoscopy and I did. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am sure this is a big relief, good for you! 

Valued Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Last summer my pcp ordered the Cologuard kit for me.  That was a much better option for me, I work so I didn't have to take two days off and that was quick and easy, non invasive and trouble free.  It's not right for everyone but it was right for me.  People who don't want screening colonoscopies should ask their doctors about it.  It's covered by Medicare and most if not all insurers.        

@chrystaltree , I've posted this before but here I go again because it's that important. I did Cologuard and it came out totally negative. I had no history, issues, etc.  Thankfully, I have a wonderful MD who told me to get my baseline colonoscopy anyway because Cologuard has so many false negatives. Well, guess what? I had one polyp and it turned out to be a very early stage cancerous one, which they removed during that colonoscopy.  (I had follow-up colonoscopies and am fine with no further treatment needed. No additional polpys have appeared so now I can go 5 years before my next one.)

Had my wonderful doc not instructed me to do the baseline colonoscopy, things would have turned out much differently for me. So,  I am the poster child for why everyone must get a baseline at 50 and then follow-up colonoscopies—even those of us without family history or symptoms.  Cologuard failed me (and many others according to my doc and gastro).  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva 

Always glad to read where another poster has had this very important procedure done. It can be the difference for many in life or death. Also happy to hear the results you mentioned.

I've went into my experiences enough in this forum, so we'll leave it at that. Good for you!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree 

"And I know ALL there is to know about them"! 

Many that have never had a Colonoscopy probably say the same. I personally have read and heard many things in my life, and thought the same way, UNTIL!

To each be their own.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva   "If anyone is putting this off, please just get it done.  It's really nothing.  Even the prep wasn't as bad as I thought."

It's rare but any invasive procedure is not 100% foolproof and is always safe.  Complcations can and have happened.   I think that's something that one should consider....always weigh the pros & cons.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

My father had colon cancer.  He was not high risk, and he was one of 11 children and no one else had it.

He went to the doctor because his stool was getting smaller and thinner.  There was a tumor in his colon blocking passage.

Anytime anyone has a change in bowel movements, they should see their doctor and get regular colonoscopies.

@Carmie 

Thank you.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I (like you) had my first one at age 51.  I was supposed to do it at 50 but I put it off because I didn’t want to go through it.   The next year my daughter’s soon to be father in law was diagnosed with colon cancer.  He was the type of man who wouldn’t go to the doctor for checkups, etc.  He made it to the wedding in a wheelchair and died a month later.  That’s when I said to myself you need to get the colonoscopy and I did. 

@itsmagic 

That is a very sad post for me to read. It is a shame so many suffer, and many die, from what can be a very preventable killer disease. I appreciate you sharing this sad news, and if wakes up just 1 person?

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove 

My hope is that @chrystaltree absorbs what you have typed. Thank you for sharing, and you were, and are, a very smart lady.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)