Honored Contributor

My First Colonoscopy is Under my Belt!

And what a relief to have it over with and get the news that everything is okay and I don't have to have it done for 10 years.

The following may fall under the category of TMI but I'm posting this in hopes that anyone else who should have this done but is putting off because they are afraid to have it done, will make that appointment.  I turned 51 in March and should have had this done last year.  I was being a complete baby about the entire thing until my doctor pretty much forced me to schedule it  

I really didn't have any problems at all with the prep.  I think the worst part was that Thursday, I had to be on all liquid which doesn't include much.  I'm not a jello fan and the only popsicles I like are the colors you couldn't have.  LOL  I was lucky that my prep was the Dulcolax, which the office provided and then Miralax mixed with my choice of Gatorade, Propel or Crystal Light.  I chose Gatorade and did the low sugar version.  I chose this because it comes in 32oz bottles and I needed 2 of them so it was just easy.  My test was Friday and my prep began at 3:00 Thursday afternoon. 

At 3:00, I had to take the 4 Dulcolax pills they provided.  Absolutely nothing happened.  I was out on my back deck enjoying the sunshine.  About 4:45, I took a small bottle of Miralax powder and mixed it with 32 oz of Gatorade.  I began drinking at 5:00 and had to be done drinking by 6:00.  It was probably 7:30 or so when that began to take effect.  A little after midnight the effects of that were done.

I had to get up about 2:45 and mix up my next batch of Miralax powder and Gatorade.  I started to drink at 3:00 a.m. and had to be done by 4:00 a.m.  That one started to take effect much more quickly.  

I had to be at the facility at 8:00.  I did have to go twice while at the facility, which they said is normal.  They got my IV started (which didn't go too well) and then it was about 9:15 when they took me in the back to get started. The doctor spoke with me and the drugs were started to put me under.  I remember nothing until I was being wheeled back up the hallway. By that time I was already awake.  The doctor came in and gave me the good news within 5 minutes of me being back in recovery.

My only advice would be to make sure you drink a lot of liquid the day of your prep.  I only drank 2 bottles of water that day, ate 1 popsicle and had about 8oz of chicken broth. Then the Gatorade but obviously that doesn't stay with you. Because of that, I was very dehydrated which is why the IV was such a problem.  Twice my veins blew out and the third time was the charm but the IV was very uncomfortable and I am now sporting 3 large black and blue marks from where she started them.

After the procedure I was very gassy and uncomfortable which is normal because they blow your stomach up with air.  That finally totally subsided late Saturday night.  I was very tired Friday because I didn't sleep much at all, partly from nerves and partly because of the prep.

If anyone is putting this off, please just get it done.  It's really nothing.  Even the prep wasn't as bad as I thought.  The nurse was telling me that they are seeing more and more instances of colon cancer in 20 and 30 year olds now.  So if you aren't at screening age, pay attention to your body and see a doctor.      

Respected Contributor

Re: My First Colonoscopy is Under my Belt!

Feels good to have that done!

Honored Contributor

What a relief, @Lipstickdiva.  Glad it all worked out for you.  The prep really is the worst part.  The good thing is when you wake up, there is no pain and you know the results. 

Catchy thread title too!  LOL

Honored Contributor

Good for you!

I know this is a procedure most shun and I understand.  I have had a few and still do not like going through it all.  However, I was having symptoms awhile ago and to make a long story short, had the procedure at the recommendation of my doctor.  I had some polyps which were cancerous.  When I went back in six months for a follow up all was well !!  Thank God I didn't put it off to begin with.  

I don't normally share medical stories but just wanted to emphasize the test is very important.  I had a couple of procedures before I had my issue so always address your symptoms too.

Our health is always priority.

Honored Contributor

Yes, that's defnitely a colonoscopy.   It probably is TMI for those people who are hesitant or fearful or have been delaying but don't really know why.  That would be me.  I'd have one in NY minute if I had symptoms or was high risk for colon cancer or had strong family history of it but I had none of those things.  I just didn't want a colonoscopy.  And I know ALL there is to know about them.  Last summer my pcp ordered the Cologuard kit for me.  That was a much better option for me, I work so I didn't have to take two days off and that was quick and easy, non invasive and trouble free.  It's not right for everyone but it was right for me.  People who don't want screening colonoscopies should ask their doctors about it.  It's covered by Medicare and most if not all insurers.        

Honored Contributor

I have several and the only thing that puts me off is needing a family member to drive me.

So inconvenient.    Because of the kind of job they have, they have to take off the entire day.

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

Good for you!

I know this is a procedure most shun and I understand.  I have had a few and still do not like going through it all.  However, I was having symptoms awhile ago and to make a long story short, had the procedure at the recommendation of my doctor.  I had some polyps which were cancerous.  When I went back in six months for a follow up all was well !!  Thank God I didn't put it off to begin with.  

I don't normally share medical stories but just wanted to emphasize the test is very important.  I had a couple of procedures before I had my issue so always address your symptoms too.

Our health is always priority.

@spiderw, so glad that everything was fine on your 6 month check-up!!!!

We have a local newscaster here in Cleveland and her husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer last year.  I believe he was in his late 40's when he was diagnosed.  They just did an update on him last week.  She said he will have to have chemo for the rest of his life. By the time he was diagnosed, it had spread to his spine and his lungs.  

She said looking back, symptoms were there and he never acted on them.  He was a very healthy, active person and had been in the armed services so was used to being in pain from various trainings and just didn't act on the symptoms.  Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I have several and the only thing that puts me off is needing a family member to drive me.

So inconvenient.    Because of the kind of job they have, they have to take off the entire day.

@software, I'm lucky that there are retired people in my family who did volunteer to take me but my DH took me and he did have to take a day off from work for it.  I know there are a lot of people though who are in a bind when it comes to something like this. 

Super Contributor

@Lipstickdiva... I'm glad it wasn't as bad as you thought and it's all behind you for 10 years! Great job!

The first time is the worst and if you think about it, there are much worse things. The second time around will be less stressful.  My first time I had an endoscopy, while I was under....gerd. It wasn't that bad either. We do have a great doctor though. That always helps.

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for sharing your information - I am sure it will be helpful to many people. 

As for the brusing, get some Arnica cream or gel and rub some on the brusied areas. I don't know how this stuff works, but it is magic  - it sure does help bruising heal more quickly.  You can find it at a drugstore or Wal-Mart.  It comes in a tube that is in a vertical box - mostly white & blue.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.