Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Dr doesn't like me using Aleve......

@Snowpuppy wrote:

You didn't mention how much you take and if it's daily or only as needed.

I have an auto immune disorder and take 800mg ibuprofen as needed for arthritis like aches & pains. Sometimes I swear I'm a human barometer. I don't like to take it often as it causes kidney issues/I don't tinkle as much. I did add a good vitamin B Complex in the morning and that assists in going piddle like I should!

Try supplementing your Aleve with some good quality Omega 3's for joint stiffness. I take it at night and take the ibuprofen during the day.

I take 1,000mg of Fish Oil twice a day....that made a difference...I will try taking Tylenol in the morning and see if that helps.....

My daughter has Crohn's and all she is able to take is Tylenol also.

Esteemed Contributor

Someone else told me about Tumeric...I will try that...

Trusted Contributor

Sigh.........here goes....have you done any research on Aleve?  Have you read the insert including the fine print? Much of what we take in our body is broken down in the liver, but, here is the sigh part.  We give over way too much power to other people where our own bodies are concerned. I am a believer in making informed decisions.  Pain management is a very big deal..Read, research and question.  What is believed and promoted today by those in the "know" will tomorrow perhaps change depending on additional research. ( Or, if the moon is full, rising in the West, and the temperature is 86.)  I am being facetious, I know, but, it is your body and you need to be in charge. The relationship between physician and patient should be a collaborative one, not top down. 

Honored Contributor

I wish there were more information to tell us what the real trade-offs are when we choose one drug over another or a drug versus natural, etc.

I was stunned recently to hear that a cancer drug which costs anywhere from 60 to 120 thousand dollars a year on average extends the patient's life about 42 days.  I'm not there, so I know I don't really know for sure, but somehow I sense that's a bad trade-off for me.

As for the Aleve -  I have no idea at all what the real trade-off is, but I do know my doctor also prefers Tylenol to Aleve, to aspirin, to lots of drugs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@Jtdmum wrote:
Have you tried arnica cream? It has to be used for a week or two but it is safe and no side affects. Stretching and yoga really can help with arthritis, especially if you're just experiencing mild symptoms. Chemical drugs generally metabolize in major organ systems and although safe when used propriately, its safer not to use at all if you can find a more natural solution. Hope you feel better!

No, I haven't tried  Arnica creme....sounds good though. He did prescribe Voltaren Gel, but I don't like alot of what I read about it....

My doc also prescribed Voltaren and the warning label was pretty scary, IMO.

I went back to good old ASPERCREME ......  it reduces my pain by about 30% ......   and it's odorless, so you don't smell like an  "old person" !!

Respected Contributor

I must be one of the few people that does not "have" a doctor. Maybe it's a good thing. I find Alleve to be the most helpful OTC medication for any pains I may have. 

Respected Contributor

Hope you're not taking more than 325 mg dosage on that Tylenol as that can cause liver damage too.

Liver toxicity from NSAIDS is if used in prescription strength dosages (800 mg or higher) for a long period of time.

When my pain is so bad that I cannot think, I can barely move around, cannot grip even a cup of coffee, Aleve works, and I take under the advise and monitoring of my Dr.

Honored Contributor

Aleve bothers my kidneys so i have to rely on something else.

I recently started taking tart cherry capsuals and it helps my pain.

I buy on line from puritans pride.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

Fellow arthritis sufferer here!  I used to take ibuprofen and then Aleve. Weight Loss surgery made those off limits. I now take generic Costco Tylenol arthritis formula (and eat gin soaked golden raisins  daily.) Before I go out to walk or run I take a pill.If I'm travelling and walking I take pills. Otherwise I try to not use the meds.I honestly am always in some degree of pain but exercise helps. I don't know if the raisins really work; but if not they still taste delicious. I hope you find your pain relief sweet spot.

Honored Contributor

I've been warned by several doctors to strictly limit intake of Tyelenol due to potential kidney damage.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment