Esteemed Contributor

My Dr doesn't like me using Aleve......

Went to the family Dr yesterday for a check-up. I have mild arthritis in some of my joints and that is the only ailment I have. I am not on any medications, but I do take a few vitamins to try and keep it that way. 

Some days my joints just ache, so I take one Aleve. I may take 3-4 Aleve a week at the most. My Dr told me to stop taking it and to take Tylenol. Tylenol works, but I have to take 2 at a time and repeat throught the day I am having pain.

When I asked why he wanted me to stop taking Aleve, he said it is hard on the liver and makes you retain water.

Anyone else have a Dr that doesn't like them taking Aleve?

Regular Contributor

Re: My Dr doesn't like me using Aleve......

Yes, my doctor has told me the same thing. You are fortunate to be able to take Tylonol - I also can't take that. Any pain meds must be prescribed - last week was prescribed Tramadol before upcoming dental surgery.

Respected Contributor

yes, my doctor said the same thing.  i really hate to take anything at all, but sometimes it's unavoidable.  the thing is, when i take the aleve, it works SO GOOD and for SO LONG.     but, you know what?  my ankles swell up after i have taken it!  so i have been sticking with the tylenol arthritis, like my doc said.  

Esteemed Contributor

@mysterylady wrote:

Yes, my doctor has told me the same thing. You are fortunate to be able to take Tylonol - I also can't take that. Any pain meds must be prescribed - last week was prescribed Tramadol before upcoming dental surgery.

-------------------

I was prescribed Tramadol after surgery and it did nothing for the pain!  Just seemed like basic Tylenol to me; my DD had the same response to the medication.

Esteemed Contributor

You didn't mention how much you take and if it's daily or only as needed.

I have an auto immune disorder and take 800mg ibuprofen as needed for arthritis like aches & pains. Sometimes I swear I'm a human barometer. I don't like to take it often as it causes kidney issues/I don't tinkle as much. I did add a good vitamin B Complex in the morning and that assists in going piddle like I should!

Try supplementing your Aleve with some good quality Omega 3's for joint stiffness. I take it at night and take the ibuprofen during the day.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Have you tried arnica cream? It has to be used for a week or two but it is safe and no side affects. Stretching and yoga really can help with arthritis, especially if you're just experiencing mild symptoms. Chemical drugs generally metabolize in major organ systems and although safe when used propriately, its safer not to use at all if you can find a more natural solution. Hope you feel better!
Honored Contributor

Drugs like NSAID are miracles for occasional use but when taken regularly the side effects are very serious.They need to be used cautiously.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, that was my feeling that's why I never had the Tramadol prescription filled. Might as well take nothing. Wish I could still at least take Tylonol but have  some decrease in liver function that's being monitered so I "try" not to take anything they've listed. I also have arthritis and with the rain we've had recently, it would be nice to have some relief - but no such luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:
Have you tried arnica cream? It has to be used for a week or two but it is safe and no side affects. Stretching and yoga really can help with arthritis, especially if you're just experiencing mild symptoms. Chemical drugs generally metabolize in major organ systems and although safe when used propriately, its safer not to use at all if you can find a more natural solution. Hope you feel better!

No, I haven't tried  Arnica creme....sounds good though. He did prescribe Voltaren Gel, but I don't like alot of what I read about it....

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma 

You might try taking the supplement turmeric for inflammation/pain.