Esteemed Contributor

My dh and I truly love our dentist, but he went above and beyond today. My temporary bridge fell out of my mouth this morning. Great. (Just brushing my teeth). I called the office to discover that the whole office is closed until Thursday. I knew my dentist was out of state, but thought the techs were in. No. The tooth that the bridge was attached to is now exposed and very painful. I called the emergency number and talked to whomever is covering my dentist's office. They were also out of town. Oh, goody. I went out to buy some dental wax to cover the tooth and there was a message on my phone when I returned. Somehow my dentist got wind of my predicament, called a tech that lives close to the office, arranged for someone of authority to take a key to her and she met me in the clinic at 12:30 and fixed my bridge. Color me impressed. I am buying the tech a gift certificate to a nice restaurant in the area.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Dentist is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

@pattypeep, you are very lucky and I am glad that all is well.  What a great dentist!  It is always nice to hear good news.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

That's super awesome!

I'm fortunate to have a good dentist and everybody who works there is just the best.  

They've been really nice, and helpful, to me over the years.  Recently I had a crown fall out and they got me right in.  He fixed it, no charge.   When I had a recent procedure done they gave me the 'pay ahead' discount.

I sent them a nice 'Edible Arrangement' and they loved it.  I was worried about the quality, especially as they are pretty expensive.  But I guess it was really nice.

Next time I went the doc said 'I'm still picking chocolate and pineapple out of my teeth' (laughingly).   It's sure nice to have nice and knowledgeable people who do a great job!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep I am very fond of my dentist too.  He's always gone above and beyond taking care of my teeth.

I have a very dry mouth (even take medicine for it) (caused by medicine) and it affects my teeth.  You'd never know it if you saw me but he has capped many of my teeth.

I have spent a fortune on my teeth but due to his patience and knowledge I don't have any bridges or false teeth, just caps.  

He specializes in cosmetic dentistry.  It drives him crazy that I won't let him make my teeth pure white and perfect, but I want them to look like they always have (and they do).

It seems not that many people like their dentist.  That's sad.

Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep

Several years ago, I had the worst pain in my mouth. I needed an implant and my dentist put something temporary in there. A few days later, I was in a lot of pain and called his office and was told he was on vacation and would return a week later. He's the only dentist in this office. The female who I spoke to in the office referred me to another dentist - and he said, he wasn't able to fix the problem. I called back the dental office and they prescribed an antibiotic (or pain pill) --- so I had to endure the pain for another week until the dentist returned. I changed dental offices (there are 3 dentists on the staff) - and am much happier with this dentist. Plus - their prices are much more reasonable - considering I don't have insurance -- and it's much closer to my house.

Respected Contributor

You are so fortunate to have a great dentist. I'm still trying to find one. The last one I tried made a night guard that was way uncomfortable, kept making adjustments but never could wear it, left jagged rough area in a front tooth restoration, doesn't have a gentle chair side manner, is actually kind of rough. Dental work is way too expensive to not have a dentist you like and trust.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 It is sad that many people don't like their dentist, but goodness, change dentists. I've only had one that I didn't care for and I went one time and that was the end of her. Smiley Tongue@Annabellethecat66, I am wondering what it means when you have a tooth capped?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

@pattypeep

caps and and crowns are the same thing. (:

Esteemed Contributor

I love my dentist.  He is really good, and yours sounds phenomenal.  I would totally give them a thank you gift.😁

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep Having a tooth capped means they have one made exactly like the original tooth (if you want it to).  When it comes back from the company the dentist fills the bad tooth and/or drills it down so the cap will fit over it.  That way you still have your original tooth under it but there is no longer a cavity there and the tooth looks good.

Go here:http://www.kneibdentistry.com/dentistry-101/caps-and-crowns/

The problem with crowns/caps is that they are very, very expensive.  I have spent (swear to you) around $18,000 on my teeth.  The dentist has tried to just fill the teeth but because my mouth gets so dry he ends up having to cap them (that's why so expensive).  It's worth it to me though because I don't have bridges or false teeth and they look completely normal.  

As I said, he'd rather make them look perfect (like people you see on TV) but good grief!  I'm 70 years old and I don't mind them not being blinding white.  Dentists can do everything these days.

I have a wisdom tooth that was turned and had to come out but it's on a side where I chew so he pulled the tooth and put in a tiny cadaver bone (because it left a hole).  It has to have 4 months to grow back into my jaw.  It has been almost 4 months.  Then I go back and he 'implants' a post in the gum and he'll put a cap over that one.  Then it will be easier to chew on that side.

He said it was up to me that some people might not want to go to the trouble at my age but I said, "Hey!  I might live to be 100 and I want to be able to chew on that side.  None of it hurts.  I've never had pain for anything he's done.  Dentists don't usually hurt you anymore.

So, now you know about what dentists can do.