Honored Contributor

Re: My Dentist called me today to schedule my cleaning

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

@SeaMaiden I decided to hold off for a bit.  Our office is adding an upcharge for extra protective gear - for the hygienist I assume.  Has anyone else had an extra charge?

I heard about this... I guess if it is to be safer... the customer is going to pay for it... like any business would do the same.... pass it on to the customer.

I doubt that the extra protective gear will be going away anytime soon... in fact,it may be with us for years to come.. so this extra "fee" is just going to be there no matter if you go tomorrow to the dentist, or go a year from now.

I guess you could just decide to not pay it by not going to the dentist... but THAT  would probably end up costing you more having  expensive fixes  in the future on your teeth not being cared for to save the cost of paying for protective gear.

Trusted Contributor

i was due back at the end of april.. i cant wait to get mine cleaned.. i go every 6 months.. so its no big deal that im late... but i just feel better when they're cleaned... will i be afriad to go when they open... no i wont... i know they use all the precautions. they did before all this hit... as far as face masks, gloves, sanitation...   you can pick it up just as easy somewhere else i think

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden   My teeth stay pretty clean so I don’t really need a cleaning. On top of that, my dentist sent an email that his prices have increased because of COVID-19 and he is also no longer accepting much insurance. 

I’d only go to a dentist or doctor for something that could not wait right now. 

Respected Contributor

Not at all worried.  It's good there are still so many nervous about it.  Maybe I can get in sooner! 

Super Contributor

There was a $10 charge for protective equipment at the dentist 2 weeks ago. 

Honored Contributor

@MildredM wrote:

There was a $10 charge for protective equipment at the dentist 2 weeks ago. 

That sounds fair to me. 

Trusted Contributor

Mine is scheduled for next week.  I go to a Periodontist as I had gum surgery last year.  They told me only one person allowed in at a time and no one in reception room.  I will wait downstairs in lobby as it's a building or car and they will call me when I should come up.

I took the first appointment at 8:00 AM so I would not have to wait. lol.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an appointment for next Wednesday. The dentist just texted a questionnaire to fill out. I will go but they may cancel due to age over 65 and HBP. 

Also, DIL is a pediatric hygienist. She goes back to work in 2 weeks.

Trusted Contributor

I was scheduled for a cleaning in April which was, of course, canceled. They are beginning to open back up and I’m now scheduled for September. 

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I went ahead and scheduled....but still might cancel. They are taking  all the precautions.... but, still I feel nervous about it.  Anyone else feel the same way? 

Uh yes.  I will cancel mine.  Our cases have sky rocketed after opening up everything.  No way will I take a chance with dentist, doctors, or anything else.  Social distancing is in my future for a long time regardless of what our leaders claim.  Their only interest is getting the economy going again even if thousands more will lose their lives.  Listen to your instincts.  When that little voice questions what you do you know the answer.