Honored Contributor

Re: My COVID TX Emergency Alert

It is so frightening and I am sorry your governor didn't do the right thing to begin with but I am not surprised.

I live at NJ which of course is close to NY and we went through the horror of having so many cases and deaths.  I was in such fear in the beginning I couldn't sleep or have peace of mind.  However, thankfully as time went by and people stayed indoors as told, things calmed down a bit.  We are still in a pandemic so I take nothing for granted and use common sense and follow restrictions.  Currently I am in a better frame of mind and that inner fear subsided.

I am sorry for all who are going through the crisis with spiking numbers and truly relate.  Follow what the experts say and do what is necessary to stay safe and well.  In time it will calm down as it did here but we still must be cautious and I think for certain states this has been a harsh lesson for not following the experts.  Be well and safe at Texas!

Respected Contributor

@spiderw I'll avoid the politics of it all, but I'm not surprised either.  I think the Girl Scouts could have seen this coming and crafted a better plan.

Respected Contributor

We were recently in Houston for an second opinion. They have the worlds largest medical center. It is so huge they chopper patients from building to building. I read that the ICU beds are full and they are putting COVID adult patients in the Children's hospital. Can anyone from the area verify if this is true?

Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

We were recently in Houston for an second opinion. They have the worlds largest medical center. It is so huge they chopper patients from building to building. I read that the ICU beds are full and they are putting COVID adult patients in the Children's hospital. Can anyone from the area verify if this is true?

Yes, this was on the news.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids  I'm glad it's receiving broad coverage. It's definitely not the year for TX tourists.  

Super Contributor

I can't speak for Texas, but in my state of Florida the rise is due to opening too soon and people not wearing masks and not social distancing.

Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld Yes, it's true.  Alternative units are being designated COVID in many hospitals in TX.  

Honored Contributor

wow! Thanks for posting this.@BlueFinch .

That must have been alarming and like out of a twilight zone episode!

But good for those authorities because so many cities should be doing the same to get it through people that it is a deadly virus spreading rapidly.

It really is. 

Stay as safe as you can everyone!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

People come from all over the world to seek medical help in Houston. And many, such as those who are inpatient at MD Anderson Cancer center are stem cell transplants or desperately ill with cancer. I can only imagine that the staff is stretched to the breaking point.

We were in that same hospital being overwhelmed status in Michigan at one time too. It added to the death rate I am sure. I pray we don't go back there.

We have had a slow, measured reopening but there are outbreaks from younger people at a bar in East Lansing (MSU) and tourists in Traverse City. Supposedly, the bar was compliant but patrons were not. It has shut down for cleaning and air filtration system.

Honored Contributor

Great use of the emergency alert system.