Respected Contributor

Re: My 92 year old mother fell and hit the back of her head on tile.

im so sorry to here of your aunts passing. and your poor mom going there whats shes going thru. i send many prayers to all of you and the strangth to get you and your mom through everything . good luck to you and virginia.

Respected Contributor

Update on my mother: First thank you all for the prayers that you have bestowed upon our family. Mom was moved to Rehab today. This is her 3rd time in Rehab this year. She is in a familiar place. She is weak but I am hopeful that she will do well in Rehab as she has done in the past. She had her stitches and staples removed today before she left the hospital. We have been setting up her assisted living apartment this past week. It is starting to look really cute. I am hopeful that she can make it there so she receives some needed assistance while maintaining a sense of independence. 

Respected Contributor

@conlt wrote:

Update on my mother: First thank you all for the prayers that you have bestowed upon our family. Mom was moved to Rehab today. This is her 3rd time in Rehab this year. She is in a familiar place. She is weak but I am hopeful that she will do well in Rehab as she has done in the past. She had her stitches and staples removed today before she left the hospital. We have been setting up her assisted living apartment this past week. It is starting to look really cute. I am hopeful that she can make it there so she receives some needed assistance while maintaining a sense of independence. 

@conlt

Thanks so much for the update on your Mom!  I'm glad she's where they can watch her and keep her safe until she moves to assisted living.  You sound like such a caring daughter!  So sorry about your Aunt.  She's where she can be happy and unburdened by illness or pain.

Honored Contributor

Sending prayers for your mom and you.  I've been there with my dad and we almost lost Mom a few months ago.  During all this DH was getting cancer treatments and I had quadruple heart surgery.  It's been challenging for sure.  Like @hckynut said...it is hard to see them decline.  God bless you and try to get rest when you can. 

Respected Contributor

Update on Mon: It has been 2 long months now and my mother has bounced from hospital, to rehab, to hospital since my last post. She developed a UTI and ended up back in the hospital, then out again to rehab, then another UTI and back in the hospital, then back in rehab. Then she had an acute heart attack with respiratory failure and almost died. Now she has heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease but she is back in reahab and doing pretty good. It is going to be a long recovery for her. 

Thank God my sister is here and staying in the rehab for about 12 hours per day. They have mom up and walking with therapy and she has OT and speech because when she had her MI, she lost her swallowing reflex. We think she may have had a stroke also. 

I can't believe that we have been doing this for a full 2 months now, but we have. Again, thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers, we really need them. 

Trusted Contributor

My 100 yr old mom fell getting out of bed to use the bathroom and tripped over her walker.  Her caregiver found her back in bed bleeding on her arm.  She has bruises and 3 broken ribs.  My sister thought she would be safe sleeping overnight without a caregiver, but realized she needed full-time care.  She has lived alone in her house since she got divorced many, many years ago.  My mom has also fallen several times but backwards and fortunately no head injuries.  At $20 her hour her money will be running out soon.  My sister who lives near her now wishes she had sold her house and moved to assisted living or nursing home.  It's very, very stressful for the family.  My mom's cognitive skills are getting worse.  Does your mom live alone?  Sounds like she needs full-time care.

Respected Contributor

Oh, my mother did live alone at the time of the fall we had an aide with her 6 hours a day and 1 of us slept there at night. So she was alone for a few hours in the AM and PM. She sleeps late so she was usually in bed when the aide came. She fell at night in between when the aide left and 1 of us came. However, we could not have prevented the fall, she did not use her walker and she went around and checked the doors before bed, several times. It was during 1 of those trips that she fell. We have an assisted living apartment for her which we were going to move her to in December but we never got the chance. Now we face moving her out of that assisted living into a higher level of care of assisted living. We toured 1 on Saturday and will choose that 1 if she cannot move to the original assisted living. I see my mother is fading fast. When she went into respiratory failure, I thought that she was going to die that day. 2 months in and out of the hospital and rehab has taken its toll. She is 93 now. I pray for your family also, this is not an easy situation. 

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry for all  your family. Falls are terrible things. My husband fell in the middle of the night, about 1 1/2 years ago.

He went to the kitchen to get some tylenol. The bottle has been in  kept this place, for 50 years. It is near a stairs. He was half asleep, and as we live in a trilevel, the stairs going to our bedrooms, was just on the other side of the wall

We think ,he thought he was at the foot of the stairway, going to the bedrooms. . He wasn't , he was at the stairway, leading to the basement level. He was half asleep

I am posting this to urge people ,to  keep meds in a safer spot, than we did. Things worked out ,but ,they could have been tragic for us

Halo ,I have been praying for all of you ,since I read this.

Honored Contributor

My family is familiar with the hospital/rehab ritual.  It's draining for everyone involved.

I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN