Respected Contributor

My 92 year old mother fell and hit the back of her head on tile.

I have had a terrible few days and I am exhausted. First of all, 

My Aunt died last Friday. She was 91 and my mothers sister. We were reallying from that when my mother fell on Sunday night and cracked th back of her head on tile. I found her, there was a lot of blood, I held pressure on her wounds and dialed 911. She is 92. The experience was so traumatic for me. I was even questioned by the police because there was so much blood. 

She has multiple head lacerations and necessitated 7 staples and more stitches than 1 could count. The biggest concern is the possibility of a sub-dural hematoma. She was so confused last night, I stayed with her at the hospital until she was asleep. I have to work so it has been difficult. She almost fell again last night. 

Today she is a little bit better and the aide walked her with a walker. This is her 5th fall this year. In fact she did not fall until this year. I have a paid aide staying with her at the hospital at night now. 

Please keep us in your prayers, her name is Virginia. I can see she is going down fast. This situation is very stressful for all of our family. Thank you. 

Honored Contributor

Re: My 92 year old mother fell and hit the back of her head on tile.

@conlt  I have a flameless candle cycling for Virginia and will keep it going until you tell me to stop.  I promise you, I can go years praying for someone and keeping a candle going.  I've been through it Halo, rest when you can. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@conlt  adding my Prayers

Contributor

Your poor mom!  Losing her sister...and then falling.  That is such a traumatic event. I can only imagine how worried you are. It sounds like she is getting great care. It’s wonderful that she has an aide in the hospital. Hope her condition improves in the next few days. Your words brought memories of panic because my mom’s name was Virginia and she had similar issues/events in her 90s.  Will be looking for an update about your Virginia. You are a great daughter!  

Honored Contributor

I imagine things are very hard for you right with all that's going on.  First, sorry for the loss of your aunt.  Second, sorry to hear about your mother's fall.  While you may feel many emotions about your mother and the situation, remember you are strong.  I know you are strong because you handled the situation and your mother is getting the care she needed.  I am sending prayers for Virginia 🙏🙏🙏.  

Esteemed Contributor

@conlt  Condolences on your Aunt. So sorry to hear about her mom. Have you talked with the Social Services Dept. at the hospital? Perhaps they will be able to help you with long-term care or Assisted Living for your mom when she's able to leave the hospital. If she's fallen so frequently, and you work, she cannot be left alone at home.

Been through this with my mom. Tour as many places as you can find and pick the best one for your mother's needs. Try to think of her future requirements, too. I was able to visualize and stay a step ahead of my mom's needs for 14 years. It made both of our lives easier and she was so much safer.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hope your mom's recovery is complete. Blessings.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Well hope she has medicare. they will give a few hours a day to watch for her. A caretaker now is what you need to look after her when you work. They allow for a few hrs to do it. Look into it, your Mom will do it again just be glad you were home what happens when youare at work, she needs someone there when you are not there, find out a person that will do it.Good luck, medicare may pay for it.

Honored Contributor

Halo....I am so sorry and the police questioning you on top of all that you are dealing with!  My prayers are with you and your family.  Please remember to pause and be kind to yourself during this potentially stressful time.  Much love.

Trusted Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I have had a terrible few days and I am exhausted. First of all, 

My Aunt died last Friday. She was 91 and my mothers sister. We were reallying from that when my mother fell on Sunday night and cracked th back of her head on tile. I found her, there was a lot of blood, I held pressure on her wounds and dialed 911. She is 92. The experience was so traumatic for me. I was even questioned by the police because there was so much blood. 

She has multiple head lacerations and necessitated 7 staples and more stitches than 1 could count. The biggest concern is the possibility of a sub-dural hematoma. She was so confused last night, I stayed with her at the hospital until she was asleep. I have to work so it has been difficult. She almost fell again last night. 

Today she is a little bit better and the aide walked her with a walker. This is her 5th fall this year. In fact she did not fall until this year. I have a paid aide staying with her at the hospital at night now. 

Please keep us in your prayers, her name is Virginia. I can see she is going down fast. This situation is very stressful for all of our family. Thank you. 

@conlt, your Mother, Virginia, is in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

My condolences to your family on the loss of your Aunt.

These recent events must be, as you stated, terrible,exhausting and stressful, so my thoughts are with you as well.

Honored Contributor

@conlt

Sorry about your mother's fall, and the death of her sister, in such close succession. I can somewhat relate because I lived with my mother until she died, and she had several falls during the time she started rapidly going downhill. It was a very sad thing for me to see her decline, and also a very mentally exhausting time.

My thoughts are with you and your mother.

hckynut

hckynut(john)