Super Contributor

Re: Mutual of Omaha for Supplemental Medicare Insurance?

I had them for 10 years.  Started with Plan F, about $130.  You just can't beat a supplement.   They are great.  Then the premium increases started.  More than once a year.  Always a birthday increase plus others.  About 6 years in, a new plan, N, (no longer available where I live) with co-pays and a deductible and a lower premium sounded like it would give me a break cost wise, but those premiums,  too, became very pricey.  Last year I got 2 premium increases totaling $76, bringing my premium to $355.  At that point, I looked into AARP (United Healthcare) and their premium for Plan N was $253.  So I switched. I don't know why I didn't look into AARP initially.   I wish I had. 

Honored Contributor

@dobiesrule wrote:

I had them for 10 years.  Started with Plan F, about $130.  You just can't beat a supplement.   They are great.  Then the premium increases started.  More than once a year.  Always a birthday increase plus others.  About 6 years in, a new plan, N, (no longer available where I live) with co-pays and a deductible and a lower premium sounded like it would give me a break cost wise, but those premiums,  too, became very pricey.  Last year I got 2 premium increases totaling $76, bringing my premium to $355.  At that point, I looked into AARP (United Healthcare) and their premium for Plan N was $253.  So I switched. I don't know why I didn't look into AARP initially.   I wish I had. 

dobiesrule, I hope my premiums don't go up at least for 18 months, that's how long I'm under the umbrella of COBRA (I think).  But, interestingly enough, I first went to AARP trying to get into United HealthCare which was my insurance prior to my retiring in June because I like their custome service.  They wanted about $500+!  When I received paperwork from COBRA saying I could continue a rate close to my group rate...the quote was $785!!  Say What???  So what I need to do, I guess, is every year during open enrollment, check rates for ALL providers.  Never assume that my rates will remain the same.  Thanks, dodiesrule.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Super Contributor

Wow, that is a huge amount for a supplement for a 65 year old.  Almost sounds like they were quoting you for regular insurance not a supplement.   But, in my area, in the fall, AARP holds meetings with an advisor who can explain the coverage and show you the premiums.  The meetings were pretty well advertised and were in different parts of town.  You might want to consider that.  

Honored Contributor

@dobiesrule wrote:

Wow, that is a huge amount for a supplement for a 65 year old.  Almost sounds like they were quoting you for regular insurance not a supplement.   But, in my area, in the fall, AARP holds meetings with an advisor who can explain the coverage and show you the premiums.  The meetings were pretty well advertised and were in different parts of town.  You might want to consider that.  

Yes, it looked like a regular premium to me as well.  At our library they had some meetings about signing up for medicare supplemental ins. but since I was working at that time, I couldn't attend.  I plan to review everything during open enrollment starting in October.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Super Contributor

You have clearly done your research.   I have no doubt you will continue to persevere in learning all you can about this.  I think your original question was "is Mutual of Omaha good" and the answer is yes.  

Honored Contributor

@dobiesrule wrote:

You have clearly done your research.   I have no doubt you will continue to persevere in learning all you can about this.  I think your original question was "is Mutual of Omaha good" and the answer is yes.  

Thanks, dobiesrule.  I received my policy from them today letting me know that I have 30 days to change my mind, that the new enrollment beginning in October with my same $131.95.  It did say, however, premiums might go up yearly because of age.  Oh, well, lol.  Thanks for the conversation.