Valued Contributor

Re: Mouthwash Does NOT Protect You From Covid!

The only thing mouthwash containing alcohol will do is burn your mouth.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@twentysixteen wrote:

Hope @pitdakota weighs in on this.

I enjoy her posts.

@twentysixteen, I can only weigh in to say there is no evidence that any type of mouthwash protects anyone from contracting covid-19.  

There is a study that is being misrepresented by some out there that did document that tested the ability of a couple of mouthwash preparations to inactivate a type of coronavirus that is known to cause colds, but not SARS-CoV-2.  However, it is a big jump between 2 big oceans to take the results from that study and leap to a conclusion that using mouthwash will prevent anyone from contracting covid-19.

In the meantime people should be focusing on what we do know works.  Maintaining social distance when around anyone that is not in your immediate family unit, wearing a mask both indoors and outdoors when around anyone outside your family unit, and maitaining excellent hand hygiene with soap/water or hand sanitizer.

Unlike some here try to purport, there is clear evidence that wearing masks from many different areas is an effective strategy in reducing transmission of this virus.

For those interested you can read about the comparison of counties in Kansas.  I edited to remove the link because I wasn't sure it would pass content here.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Not that I believed for one second that it did, but this just confirms that it was just hokum.

Taken from KCRA 3 news website,

https://www.kcra.com/article/does-mouthwash-inactivate-coronavirus/34494902 

@Anonymous032819 

I find it hard to believe that anyone would think that.   Well, someone even thought injecting bleach would do the trick.   Good grief.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   Somebody not only thought of it ingesting/injecting bleach, I read poison control places got calls because some brain trusts tried it.

How any reasonable adult, with 2 functioning brain cells, blindly does what somebody with no medical training says just confounds me.  No sense of self preservation.

I guess lemmings do folllow each other off a cliff. My sympathy level for these people gets lower with each passing day.