Trusted Contributor

Re: Mouthwash Does NOT Protect You From Covid!

[ Edited ]

There is mouthwash that contains zinc and while it doesn't come out and say anything about inactivating covid, I think the implication is pretty clear.  

Also, there is a deep tradition by many to drink a hot toddy when they are feeling sick and people swear by its therapeutic benefits for flu and colds.  I'm sure that has now extended to covid with the hope that the strong alcohol content will inactivate it.  

When you disinfect your house with Lysol....it too is only good until a covid positive person touches a previously sprayed area.  False sense of security.  

Esteemed Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

There is mouthwash that contains zinc and while it doesn't come out and say anything about inactivating covid, I think the implication is pretty clear.  

Also, there is a deep tradition by many to drink a hot toddy when they are feeling sick and people swear by its therapeutic benefits for flu and colds.  I'm sure that has now extended to covid with the hope that the strong alcohol content will inactivate it.  

When you disinfect your house with Lysol....it too is only good until a covid positive person touches a previously sprayed area.  False sense of security.  

@agb80 

Well, I know that being drunk had helped me through this pandemic!😄

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819  LMBO..   Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I have seen medical publlished information that it help... not prevents.  I use it because sometimes my gums are irritated and it seems to help.  

Honored Contributor

I asked yesterday this question,then deleted it ,so trying again ,what about using  this, or baby shampoo deluted of course with water,as a nasal rinse. i saw that the baby shampoo did help.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest I would be concerned about what is contained in that baby shampoo, because our sinus passages are very close to our brain, and I would not feel comfortable putting numerous chemicals that I am not familar with that close to my brain.   That's my personal feeling.  I use only previously heated water with salt in my sinuses, for that reason. 

I would need to know a whole lot more about the stated value of using diluted baby shampoo in the sinuses, and an explanation of which chemicals in that shampoo would be considered beneficial  versus which would be considered harmful.  I would also imagine that there are many different chemicals (including artificial scents and colors) in each different baby shampoo, so making substitutions in product would not be a good idea, either.  Some people might have artificial color sensitivities or even allergies to some of these ingredients, and for them, it would be a terrible idea.  Imagine your sinuses swelling shut completely.  (As mine did many years ago from a severe sinus infection.  Nasacort literally saved my life that evening.) 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I asked yesterday this question,then deleted it ,so trying again ,what about using  this, or baby shampoo deluted of course with water,as a nasal rinse. i saw that the baby shampoo did help.

The only safe thing you can put up your nose is sterile saline or sterile water made for rinsing that part of the airway.  @goldensrbest 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hope @pitdakota weighs in on this.

I enjoy her posts.

Honored Contributor

Some mouthwashes will reduce viral loads found in the oral cavity of those who are infected with the virus which causes covid. Reducing viral loads in the mouth will help reduce it's spread. However mouthwashes will not prevent you from getting infected.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7482897/

Honored Contributor

I never thought or why would anyone think using a mouthwash would prevent you from getting covid 19, but did wonder if flushing out nasal passages, might help, i did read some think it helps with sinus infections.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.