Honored Contributor

Mother refused to give diabetic child meds

She also kept her condition a secret . The child died at age14, and was diagnosed at age 9 as diabetic.

SHe was charged with mansluaghter. I would have charged her with first degree murder, if I could

They say this child could have lived ,if her mother had medicated her. I doubt she watched the childs diet either

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6537751/Mother-charged-death-diabetic-daughter-14-concealin...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mother refused to give diabetic child meds

I don't understand why she wasn't charged with murder.  She knowlingly denied her life saving treatment.  Beyond sad.

Trusted Contributor

A Fox News Report stated she kept the knowledge of her diabetes from the father and ohter close relatives who could have helped.  The reporter stated that this crime could have no reason for it.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I will never understand stories and people like this. Why would a mother do that? Horribly sad. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is so sad. 😢

Honored Contributor

One thing struck me right away. She got on social media  immediatley ,and told everyone to wear purple, yada yada. Any grieving mother, would be too distraught ,to worry about social media

I think she is lapping up all the attention. I wonder if she has a form of munchhausens?

Esteemed Contributor

Could it be Munchhausens by proxy???

Honored Contributor

The entire medical community failed this young woman. When she had her first bout with ketoacidosis why wasn't a social worker called in to investigate? What about the physician who was prescribing her insulin? If she was losing a lot of weight what about her pediatrician? How did the dad and friends not know? She would have had to be carrying insulin and sugar with her wherever she went. A lot of big holes in all of this. I hope there is an update...

Honored Contributor

@sophiamarie

That's what I thought when I saw this tragedy on Facebook.  There's twist, she with held treatment from a sick child where as usually the mother forces treatment/surgeries etc on a child who isn't sick.

Honored Contributor

Munchausen by proxy is a term still used but has been replaced by Factitious Disorder Imposed on Another (FDIA).

Usually the child is under the age of 6 and it is usually the mother.

The term has been upgraded because of instance that this syndrome is now recognized in caretakers of other groups of people such as the elderly.

This mother doesn't clinically fall into the FDIA category. 

Although a religious slant to her actions had been dismissed, the investigation is now going back to review some other evidence.

Poor child.  The whole system failed miserably.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh