Trusted Contributor

Last summer and this summer I have been bitten by mosquitos on my upper arms and legs, the itching is driving me crazy, I have tried After-Bite, Vicks Vapo Rub, Campho Phenique, you name it.... everything just seems to take the itchiness away for a few minutes, then I'm scratching like crazy for at least 3-4 days..  

Is there something to take internally to ward off these mosquitos from biting or an over the counter medicine to relieve the itching, open to any suggestions.

Honored Contributor

Calamine or cortisone cream might help. Start using some kind of insect repellent when you go outside.

Honored Contributor

@SoCal Bred  For me, chigger bites are worse than mosquito bites...the need to itch/scratch drives me mad sometimes...LOL

I have found great relief by taking a tablet or two of an antihistamine and rubbing Cortazone 10 on the bite area. I usually start getting relief within about 10-15 minutes. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Few years ago I started using hand sanitizer on mine. the high alcohol content is great for the itching and if the gel has added Vitamin E or Aloe, that adds moisture, works like a charm. 

Honored Contributor

I am so allergic to the bites I use a doctors rx and I avoid going outdoors when M.season begins.

Respected Contributor

Rubbing Alcohol, the higher percentage the better.

Respected Contributor

Re: Mosquito Bites

[ Edited ]

@SoCal Bred wrote:

Last summer and this summer I have been bitten by mosquitos on my upper arms and legs, the itching is driving me crazy, I have tried After-Bite, Vicks Vapo Rub, Campho Phenique, you name it.... everything just seems to take the itchiness away for a few minutes, then I'm scratching like crazy for at least 3-4 days..  

Is there something to take internally to ward off these mosquitos from biting or an over the counter medicine to relieve the itching, open to any suggestions.

After Bite......not the one that has baking soda in it but the original one that smells like  ammonia.  It's the only one I can use that I don't have to reapply over and over.  Amazon sells it.  Read the comments to make sure you get the original one.  I also have a friend that uses iodine on her bites.  I tried it, but it didn't work as well as the original After Bite. 

Valued Contributor

@SoCal Bred 

A doctor once recommended applying Listerine mouthwash to the bug bite. Helped me a little. 
Friends told me that hot air from a blow dryer aimed at the bite takes away the itch for them. They are careful not to burn their skin, of course. 
QVC sells a device called Bite Helper, to neutralize itch from bug bites. It runs on 2 AA batteries. I purchased it and have not needed it yet. 

Valued Contributor

When I was a little girl, a hundred years ago, I remember getting bit to pieces by mosquitoes when I went to day camp. My father used to put his Gillette shaving foam on the bites and I always thought it worked like a miracle. Now I’m thinking it probably was just placebo effect lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@SoCal Bred wrote:

@SoCal Bred   No one seems to have noticed that you asked for something to take internally.  Any over the counter antihistamine will help - Benadryl, Claritin, Zyrtec, etc.  Hope you get some relief!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett