Respected Contributor

Re: More on the dry eye subject..

@Zhills wrote:

Artificial tears are lubricant eye drops used to treat the dryness and irritation associated with deficient tear production in keratoconjunctivitis sicca (dry eyes). They are also used to moisten contact lenses and in eye examinations. 

The most common preservative used in eye drops is Benzalkonium chloride (BAK).Oct 10, 2014

I am allergic to BAK.  It is in all store brands and even in the ones the eye doctors use.

I was putting drops in my eyes that was causing the problem (BAK) I was putting the drops in my eyes to treat.

How awful for you, @Zhills. I checked the packaging for the Walmart artificial tears I use as general irrigation (<$2, 1/2 oz), and it had BAK. So did the Equate "Restore Dual," a dupe for Refresh Optive Active. 

However, I did not see BAK in the ingredient decks on Systane Gel for Nighttime Protection (not a tears product, just FYI) or Systane Gel Drops or Systane Ultra. The Ultra product is my mainstay at this point, and I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't use it.

Are there other ingredients similar to BAK that trigger the same reactions for you, and others? I am relatively new to the dry eye world, which I've entered thanks to cataract removal and diabetes, I believe. For me, getting good sleep consistently and drinking about a half-gallon of water across the day seem to improve things, but sometimes it's just bad. No one mentioned the possibility of this when I had my cataracts removed, and given how much it can impair your quality of life, that just seems wrong.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrong thread

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Product Details

This is what I use, twice a day (when I remember) or feel like I need it.

I went to the Eye Doctor in Tampa who said my eyes did not look like an allergy but gave me antibiotic/prednizone drops for them.  GUESS WHAT THE DROPS HAD IN THEM? This is the incident that led to investigating and finding out

Examples of artificial tears that contain BAK are the Visine family of drops (Johnson and Johnson), the Clear Eyes family of drops (Prestige Brands Inc.), Rohto (Metholatum Company), Hypotears (Alcon), and Soothe Long Lasting (B+L)..

"With respect to artificial tears, few remain on the market with BAK as the preservative because most doctors advise against its use and alternatives are readily available."  It was in ALL store brands until recently.

Honored Contributor

My ophthalmologist recommends 2T of ground flax for dry eyes daily.  I add flax to everything, but I don't think I get to 2T per day.  I take fish oil.

My derm is always very careful about what medications and things I can use around my eyes.  Some things promote cataracts.  I know when I was having trouble last summer with an allergic reaction to preservatives in eye drops, they had to give me something for the dermatitis on my eye lids and there was a lot of back and forth between my derm, my ophtha and the pharmacist.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

Try taking 3 fish oil pills daily.

Honored Contributor

Another dry eye sufferer here--did the anti- b eyedrops and the Restasis too--worked until I stopped using it--it's not a cure just controls the symptoms. My eye dr suggested tear duct plugs which I haven't looked into yet. I am taking the fish oil and got a diffuser to use at night and I think that has really helped alot. Now remember that the fish oil is not a quick fix; prob take at least a month and maybe longer for any results that will be subtle.

Honored Contributor

@Jayhawk Girl, I can tell you that dry eyes will water, but it should not be to the extent you describe. You should see an opthamologist, because a plugged tear duct will cause excessive tearing. I have very dry eyes, and my eyes water mainly in the morning, and one of them does appear glassy at times. Please have a qualified eye doctor to check your tear duct. 

Valued Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

@Jayhawk Girl, I can tell you that dry eyes will water, but it should not be to the extent you describe. You should see an opthamologist, because a plugged tear duct will cause excessive tearing. I have very dry eyes, and my eyes water mainly in the morning, and one of them does appear glassy at times. Please have a qualified eye doctor to check your tear duct. 

@Tissyanne, thanks for the response.  I will make an appointment with an ophthalmologist as I want this fixed!!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Honored Contributor

@Jayhawk Girl, I hope you will let us know when you see the opthamologist. I have suffered from dry eyes for several years, and some days it has been unbearable. I worked with a lady that had blocked tear ducts, and she had a kleenex dabbing all the time until she saw her eye dr. I have used Restasis for years, tried going off of it, and went back on, because without it I was constantly using over the counter eyedrops.If your problem is dry eyes, using Occusoft lid scrubs every morning, along with warm water, helps me, and then the Restasis. It takes it a while to help, and using Lotemax which is a prescription steroid eyedrop that treats inflammation for the first couple weeks helps a lot. Eye doctors won't keep you on Lotemax long term because it can raise your eye pressure. Treating dry eyes takes a lot of patience, and usually a combination of things all together keeps you comfortable. It took me and my eye dr. a while to find what worked for me. I am not having problems now, but I still adhere to my regimen every day. If I don't my eyes will flare up. Good Luck to you. 

Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Are you seeing an optometrist or ophthalmologist?  If you aren't seeing an MD, that should be your next step.

If he is an MD, then an ENT/Allergist is a good next step.

I had a runny nose, so I am very familiar with the tissue thing.  I did a Whole30 food eliminiation for 30 days to see if it made a difference with my runny nose and it really did.  I used to get stuffy around 9 pm every night.  It was definitely something I was eating late in the day.

I use less tissues now.

I, too, have a runny nose. In the spring, my eyes just itch terrible.