Valued Contributor

More on the dry eye subject..

Ive been reading the posts regarding dry eye and my doctor said that's what I have. However, my dry eye consists of the opposite of dryness.....my eyes water to the point of looking like I've been crying.  My eyes are also very glassy looking. I do wear contacts. I tried Xiidra and it did absolutely nothing.

My eye doc is baffled and I'm baffled because he's baffled!!  I'm sick of carrying around a Kleenex to blot my eyes, not to mention how it messes with my makeup. I've tried other drops, and also considered allergies. I have been suffering from this for almost a year and am sick of it.  Anybody have any suggestions?

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Regular Contributor

Re: More on the dry eye subject..

I would definitely see an allergist . I have a friend that is constantly wiping her eyes due to her allergies.   Perhaps your eye makeup is also contributing. 

Ill let you know if I come across anything . 😂

Honored Contributor

@Jayhawk GirlI've been battling dry eye for about 20 years now and frequently I have wet eyes.  According to the doctors that's the eyes making tears, but tears of poor quality that don't really do their job so they just keep trying.  Definitely messy and irritating.   I try to combat that with good artificial tears which helps somewhat - but no total success.

On the Zidrii -  just talked with the opthalmalogist about that last week and he wasn't ready to prescribe it for me.  He's not convinced the research/clinics coming in make it any better than the Restasis I'm already using.

At his suggestion I also take Omega3 specifically formulated for dry eye (not sure I believe that), lots of warm washing of my eyes and lots of the artificial tears during the day.

Honored Contributor

Are you seeing an optometrist or ophthalmologist?  If you aren't seeing an MD, that should be your next step.

If he is an MD, then an ENT/Allergist is a good next step.

I had a runny nose, so I am very familiar with the tissue thing.  I did a Whole30 food eliminiation for 30 days to see if it made a difference with my runny nose and it really did.  I used to get stuffy around 9 pm every night.  It was definitely something I was eating late in the day.

I use less tissues now.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Contributor

I also have dry eyes......my Nutritionist said to try a little dot of coconut oil on the side of my eyes each morning.  A natural remedy.  I also see a naturalist he said to get a eye cup and use almond oil.  Both do seem to help.

Respected Contributor

@TeriK wrote:

I also have dry eyes......my Nutritionist said to try a little dot of coconut oil on the side of my eyes each morning.  A natural remedy.  I also see a naturalist he said to get a eye cup and use almond oil.  Both do seem to help.

Another dry eye person here. Your post caught my eye because I was thinking just yesterday about the possible effects of applying castor oil at the bases of my eyelashes, because I've read it can help improve them (unrelated to dry eye--I think).

But I was thinking about whether the castor oil was actually fit for application around the eye, and the same thing goes for other oils, like coconut and almond. I know when I buy the petro-based eye ointments sold for nighttime use that I'm getting a product that should be eye-safe, but are these "natural" oils cleared for use in the eye? We can eat a lot of stuff we'd never put in our eyes.

Valued Contributor

thanks, @millieshops, you are now about the 3rd person to mention Omega 3.  I will give it a try AND probably go see an opthalmologist.  This is just a big pain the you-know-what!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Contributor

Hmmmm.....true. I dont know but I was told about those two and they do seem to help mine.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann and @TeriKI'm adding your ideas to my notes and will ask questions on my next oph. visit.  Thanks for those suggestions.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Artificial tears are lubricant eye drops used to treat the dryness and irritation associated with deficient tear production in keratoconjunctivitis sicca (dry eyes). They are also used to moisten contact lenses and in eye examinations. 

The most common preservative used in eye drops is Benzalkonium chloride (BAK).Oct 10, 2014

I am allergic to BAK.  It is in all store brands and even in the ones the eye doctors use.

I was putting drops in my eyes that was causing the problem (BAK) I was putting the drops in my eyes to treat.