Respected Contributor
Not to sound like a broken record... Just like to read experiences that people have with hip replacement. Any other tips for managing the importance of not bending over, crossing ankles, sleeping, keeping your 90 degree angle, etc. I think I am more concerned about those logistics than the actual surgery! Thanks for sharing!
Honored Contributor

I broke my hip October 2020, so I had no time to prep. You are given a list of things you can not do for 6 week. You get tools to help, You get a long shoe horn and a sock glide and a grabber, you will also need something for your toilet seat to raise the height. There are probably a few more things, if I think of them i will add more

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

@I am still oxox   Great post with good tips; my daughter had hip surgery last fall and used those items. We also cleared out ALL scatter rugs for when she could use her walker (briefly) in recovery. She was advised to ice her incision frequently and I kept packs in the freezer for easy retrieval. 

No bending or reaching (the grabber's for that). She used our recliner a lot during the day. I must say her recovery was faster than anticipated, but she did follow to the letter her doctor's instructions.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

@I am still oxox   Great post with good tips; my daughter had hip surgery last fall and used those items. We also cleared out ALL scatter rugs for when she could use her walker (briefly) in recovery. She was advised to ice her incision frequently and I kept packs in the freezer for easy retrieval. 

No bending or reaching (the grabber's for that). She used our recliner a lot during the day. I must say her recovery was faster than anticipated, but she did follow to the letter her doctor's instructions.

Good luck!

Thank you!  The part that concerns me most is sleeping...

Valued Contributor

I found I had trouble getting on and off bed.  It seems my bed is a great deal higher than the hospital.  I had my husband get a bar to put on my side of bed and it really helped having something to hold on to.  The real discomfort I had was the incision.  Lots of ice.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Keep your weight down (hardest part for me).

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

I slept on my recliner in the living room for 6 weeks it was not pleasant

@bargainsgirl wrote:

@zitawins wrote:

Good luck!

Thank you!  The part that concerns me most is sleeping...

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox 

I have been sleeping in several different recliners for over 25 years. Some where better than others during that time, but! With each one I bought I learned more about which features were higher on my list.

Had no trouble sleeping in any of them. Right now we have 2 different electric 2 motor chairs. They have so many incremental positions I could not describe all of them.

Think it depends on how one sleeps, positions etc. When I slept in a bed I would wake up exactly where I laid down, and the covers moved very little. Remaking the bed took me less than a couple minutes.

I know our recliners made it easier for my wife when she had her TKR a couple years ago. Easier to get into, and infinite leg adjustments were a benefit for her, as opposed to trying to get into and out of a bed.  

Your experience in a recliner "was not pleasant". My experience in any bed is downright painful to my whole spine, and really causes my oblique muscles to go into full spasm(cramps). 

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My friend needed a raised toilet seat and handles on each side of the toilet to help her push to stand up. There were handles that go under the lid. 

Respected Contributor

i got this type of commode : you can place it right on top of the toilet (both seat and lid in upright position.)    The bucket is removable. but with the bucket in place you could set this up by your bed too.

the hardest thing - keeping flat on my back for sleep. no rolling over! no side sleeping! while healing...

Steel Folding Frame Commode