Esteemed Contributor

Re: Money Management & Individuals with Dementia Seeking Advice

This is all to common. My grandfather was 95 still lived at home. Same thing with the cash. He always had to have the cash on him. My dad and his siblings didn't really have a relationship with him. He should not of been living at home. Should of been in a nursing home. But they treated him like he was all healthy and didn't want to deal with the screaming he would do once he was in a home. They had several people move in just to keep a eye on him and cook his meals. The week before Christmas last year he fell and broke his hip. He went to hospice and only lived about 12 hours while there. It is very tough situation to be in.   

Valued Contributor

In my opinion you could visit your uncle, but you should not be involved in his care or financial problems.

Your cousin (who I assume is his son) is responsible for his father's well being.He is lucky you took care of your uncle so far,but you are probably taking time away from your husband and from the rest of your family.

I am in a similar situation.My 87 year old mom has dementia and I hired a full time housekeeper.Your uncle could easily start a fire trying to cook and could get lost.That is what happened to my mom.

She lives in a small town near Venice and the people in town was talking about her problems.My aunt who lives 40 minutes away heard gossip about mom losing her bag in church etc.

I am going there next week and will spend many months there.Hopefully a spot will be avalable in a nursing home.She hates even talking about it.If the housekeeper gets sick I would have to fly to Italy.I gave the housekeeper money for groceries.Before I left last November we went together in a supermarket and bought cleaning supplies etc to last her 5 months.

Your cousin could place your uncle in a nursing home near him.If you continue to help your uncle for free your cousin will be happy with the current situation.I gave money and presents to my cousin who visits my mom for 1o minutes once in a while.If you tell your cousin you can no longer help let us know what he will say.I bet he won't be pleased.

Honored Contributor

@Bibione,

Bachelor uncle.   Cousin is not the son, but favorite nephew.