Esteemed Contributor

Re: Milk thistle for fatty liver?

The home treatment plan for fatty liver disease is lose weight, reduce your alcohol intake, eat a nutrient-rich diet that’s low in excess calories, saturated fat, and trans fats and get at least 30 minutes of exercise most days of the week. Not taking a supplement.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My doc told me that milk thistle was good for my liver.  I take the capsules and the liquid, depending on my mood and convenience.  I'm hoping for a good liver report next time I go in to have tests in a few months.  I've lost weight and continue to watch my diet to help get my liver more healthy.  I know that I feel a lot better.

ETA:  I buy my products from Gaia.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Has anyone tried using milk thistle to treat fatty liver?  Andrew Lessman has a product or two for the liver...I know diet and exercise are part of the treatment.

@bargainsgirl 

How did you know you had a fatty liver?  Did your MD tell you that ... and, if so,  what did they suggest?

Esteemed Contributor

I've taken it on the rec of my dr.

I had elevated enzymes due to the prescription meds I was on at the time.

The liver is the only organ in the body that is capable of regenerating itself.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoobee 

@shoobee wrote:

Had a dog with fatty liver. Vet recommended milk thistle with other diet changes. Numbers changed to within normal limits in under a year. Kept using the rest of his life and it stayed normal. I just got the pills at the pharmacy area of the store, in with vitamin and minerals. If your doc recommend I would try it.

Do you know of I can use the Andrew Lessman one on my dog?  The dog liver supplement doesn't seem to be working.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie 

@Carmie wrote:

I have never taken it,but I had a dog that took supplements every day for years.  It was helpful and lowered her liver enzymes.  It was prescribed by her cardiac vet.

Do you think I can use Andrew Lessman on my dog in small amounts? The one for dogs is not working.

Honored Contributor

I really don't know.  I think you should ask your Vet.  I have always bought Denamarin.

I think milk thistle can only do so much.  If your dog has a bad liver like mine had, it will eventually catch up with them.  There is no miracle cure.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie 

@Carmie wrote:

I really don't know.  I think you should ask your Vet.  I have always bought Denamarin.

I think milk thistle can only do so much.  If your dog has a bad liver like mine had, it will eventually catch up with them.  There is no miracle cure.

I have been using Denamarin for a few years and is not helping. I am afraid you are right.  Having blood work done for her. I even tried some natural meds and it didn't sit well. Enjoying her everyday and she  She is still walking a couple of miles, but not as well, so going to cut walking down to a mile. She lets me know when she wants to walk and I don't push it. 

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition   I am so sorry.  I know your heartbreak.

My poor girl had many health issues and took RX meds everyday since she was around i year old.  All of those meds didn't make her liver happy.

Denamarin was my only hope and I really do think it did help her live longer, but it is not a miracle cure.  I lost her right before her 9th birthday.

You are doing the right thing.  She will let you know when she is too tired to walk.  My girl was up to her normal speed until a few days before we lost her.  I wouldn't have known about her liver problems without x-rays and bloodwork, so I know she wasn't in pain.

I am sending good wishes to you and your dog.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you. I can,t say much sad