Respected Contributor

Milk thistle for fatty liver?

Has anyone tried using milk thistle to treat fatty liver?  Andrew Lessman has a product or two for the liver...I know diet and exercise are part of the treatment.

Honored Contributor

Re: Milk thistle for fatty liver?

@bargainsgirl 

I have never heard of it and haven't a clue, heard or seen, any claims about the human body's need for it.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Contributor

Had a dog with fatty liver. Vet recommended milk thistle with other diet changes. Numbers changed to within normal limits in under a year. Kept using the rest of his life and it stayed normal. I just got the pills at the pharmacy area of the store, in with vitamin and minerals. If your doc recommend I would try it.

Valued Contributor

Amazon has several different brands - labels mention "supporting liver health, function,etc.

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Has anyone tried using milk thistle to treat fatty liver?  Andrew Lessman has a product or two for the liver...I know diet and exercise are part of the treatment.

Milk Thistle is well documented for its benefits for healthy liver. Be sure and check out WebMD, May,Livestrong or similar sources. 

Valued Contributor

Use the search engine DuckDuckGo to search for information on alternative medicine or herbs. Google censors this kind of information. There is a lot of information out there. Milk thistle is something I take when my liver hurts, it's not fatty,liver though. But do your research and buy a high quqliproduct not a drugstore brand. What I don't like about Andrew Lessman products is he doesn't always list his ingredients, what they are, and how sourced. Look on iherb or vitamin shoppe for higher quality products. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl  Please go to a doctor who  Knows natural supplements can  tell you how much to take to be helpful.  

When you have liver issues....you do not want to take liver herbs for  cleansing that may stress an already stressed liver more. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Milk Thistle works for me!

About 20 years ago my internist said I had elevated liver enzymes on my lab reports and said I probably had a fatty liver.

I researched and started taken milk thistle capsules daily.  I never again have had elevated liver enzymes and still take it every day and will continue.  Give it a try.

Honored Contributor

I have never taken it,but I had a dog that took supplements every day for years.  It was helpful and lowered her liver enzymes.  It was prescribed by her cardiac vet.

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl Believe it or not, my Parrot takes Milk Thistle to help prevent Liver Disease. It was prescribed to my bird by a highly qualified Avian Veterinarian. So yes, I have heard of it at least in birds. I would try it without doubt. I take 1 of Andrew's liver products because I have had high liver enzymes before.