Respected Contributor

Plants? Really? It's hard enough to get your daily requirement of calcium - 1000/1200mg per day & taking calcium tablets is not a good substitute. How many plants does one need to eat a day to meet you daily requirement of Ca+?

Remember: bones need Ca+. They stop growing at ~30 years of age. Need to replace Ca+daily. OA, fractures are not something you want to deal with in your life.

Honored Contributor

Re: Milk and Dairy???

[ Edited ]

I'm a big fan of dairy products.  Absolutely love cheeses ... all cheeses.

Milk, whipped cream, ice cream, yogurt, a bagel with gobs of cream cheese, pizza dripping with mozzarella, grilled provolone cheese sandwich with olive spread.  Cream soups made with milk.  Rice pudding made with skim milk and raisins .... a big bowl of cold cereal (with milk) for breakfast with slices of banana.

etc., etc., 

----- \  ETA (or eat) ... I made myself so hungry writing this ... I just defrosted a raisen bagel and smothered it with cream cheese.  Delicious!  Smiley Wink 

Honored Contributor

My vit D levels were so low ,I had to take massive doses of vit  D to bring up. I am still deficient, a bit. I have  had added more dairy into my diet to protect my bones and teeth

If your Vit D  gets too low, it is very dangerous

Honored Contributor

I was raised on a mostly dairy-free diet. Being part Asian, that's the way it was growing up. But in my adult years I started eating more dairy stuff like cheese and yogurt. I gave up the cheese several years ago and that was the hardest thing to do ever. I had relapses after relapses. Then finally I gave it up for good once and for all. I do still eat yogurt but that's because it is one food which contains a considerable amount of the amino acid lysine and I need more of that because I suffer with the herpes virus. Lysine works to keep it at bay...and I also take supps for it, too. But going back to dairy...I eat yogurt for the probiotic lactobacillus and that helps keep my gut in check. I don't foresee me giving up the yogurt...sorry folks, but I think it does my body good.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Milk and Dairy???

[ Edited ]

I personally like dairy of all kinds and will continue consuming them. My concerns have more to do with a couple of serious health issues that just might kill me in a few minutes, not over whatever period of time I will be alive in the future, should I choose to eliminate dairy.

I have had to make serious  tradeoffs as to longevity or actually living, as opposed to just existing. The foods that I presently consume give me the fuel to continue with my very active lifestyle, along with no serious sickness issues.

For me an old man turning 80 next month?

LIFE IS GREAT

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  I've said it before, I will say it again---love your attitude!!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

I Heart.jpg milk.jpg! ! ! 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Plants? Really? It's hard enough to get your daily requirement of calcium - 1000/1200mg per day & taking calcium tablets is not a good substitute. How many plants does one need to eat a day to meet you daily requirement of Ca+?

Remember: bones need Ca+. They stop growing at ~30 years of age. Need to replace Ca+daily. OA, fractures are not something you want to deal with in your life.

@ahoymate 

Really. Plants.

1000/1200mg is just an American recommendation.

World Health Organziation suggests 500mg range.

The other 500/700mg is just plain ‘ole American Marketing

to buy more of the Dairy Council product.

Dairy Lobbists love that.

The source of all calcium is the soils of the earth. 

Plants absorb this basic element, present in watery solutions,

through their roots, and then incorporate it into their various tissues—

roots, stems, leaves, flowers, and fruits.  Animals then eat the

plant parts to obtain calcium and all other essential minerals.”

Plants are the original source for calcium...without the cholesterol

and saturated fat associated with eating animal byproducts. 

It’s amazing to see the long history of Milk Marketing.

Generations have grown up with this falsehood we need

animal secretions to survive...but it’s changing...

slowly, but it’s changing!

People are finally waking up! 💚🌿

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for reminding me that I need to pick up a gallon of milk tomorrow (and maybe even some ice cream!)

smiley-face-emoji.jpeg

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

I know a lot of people who don't like to consume dairy but I'm not one of them.  I don't drink milk, but I do use half 'n half in my coffee and love cheese.  I also consume non fat greek yogurt and cottage cheese and like cream cheese on my bagel. 

As to calcium requirements, my doctor has recommended 1000-1500mg daily (although I don't think I'm consuming that) so it's not the marketing but medical recommendation that encourages me to consume that and protect my bones.  However, I would certainly be open to other sources of calcium in my diet.