Honored Contributor

Re: Milestone! 50% of Adults Vaccinated with at Least One Shot - By the End of this Week!

Woohoo!! Hey normal life? Get ready! Here we come!

Macys Parade GIF by The 93rd Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Find &  Share on GIPHY

Macys Parade GIF by The 93rd Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade - Find &  Share on GIPHY

Kid Celebration GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Milestone! 50% of Adults Vaccinated with at Least One Shot - By the End of this Week!

I truly hope the numbers/statistics being thrown out there regarding vaccination rates are true, but to be honest, I am calling BS on my states numbers (WV).    

The director at the health department and our local paper are reporting 50% of county residents are vaccinated. 

Regardless of the county we live in, ALL WV residents were told to register for Covid vaccination thru the WV DHHR state website.   I did that 2 1/2 months ago; took less than 10 minutes, and was "assured" my info would filter into my local health department resulting in a phone call with an appt.  I'm still waiting on that call, as is everyone I know who registered this way.   

My husband got his vaccine thru the VA, and mine came thru the school system in the next county over, when teacher daughter could sign up family and friends.  

Our very first local walk-in vaccine clinics were set up last week; 2 offered Pfizer and the other was J & J.   Now the health department director is saying they have plenty of vaccine, but people aren't showing up to take it, resulting in wasted vaccine.   He even repeated some of the stupid reasons local residents are giving as to why they won't take the shot, which I find extremely sad.  

Covid death numbers were recently found to be off, due to poor job performance issues, and I don't believe that's the last of incorrect reportings for WV.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop It looks like Walgreens is doing vaccinations in West Virginia. Have you heard of any good luck with that?

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain 

My husbands aunt used to work for Walgreens and was only interested in going there for her vaccine.   When she called the local store, she was told they would not be participating.   

Esteemed Contributor

Fantastic!  I received my first Pfizer dose just this morning.  It was at a large community vaccination site set up by my county, in conjunction with the state Department of Health.  There were many recipients, and many registrars, vaccinators, and floating staff keeping things organized.  It was terrifically organized.

It took just about 8 weeks after registering on the state website, to get an appointment invitation.  I'm 61 with no significant pre-existing conditions.  I'm pretty psyched.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

53% of the total population in New Mexico has had at leat one shot.  About 37% is fully vaccinated. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

53% of the total population in New Mexico has had at leat one shot.  About 37% is fully vaccinated. 

Total population? Including kids who can't even get vaccinated? That is extraordinary! Fabulous!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The correct information for New Mexico is that 52.7% of the adult population has received at least one dose and 34.8% of the adult population is fully vaccinated. 

Per the State of New Mexico Department of Health; statistics are based upon those age 16 and above.

Nice work, but the absence of just one word alters things a lot.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Husband and I will be fully vaccinated in May. We are 75+, and it's been a real struggle for the large number of seniors to make appointments here in FL.  Shots were made available to younger age groups too soon, way before we seniors in "group 1b" (supposedly right behind long term care homes and medical personnel) were able to get shot #1. Happy that shots are going in arms, even if not yet in our arms. 19 year old GD was able to get shot in OH - yay!

Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

@PamfromCT 

My 10 year GD was in quarantined last week for exposure.  Not good.  Youngest I ever heard of.  

@Still Raining Honestly quarantining a 10 year old for exposure is not that unusual. The CDC said anyone within 6 ft for 15 minutes is considered to have been exposed at school. Sadly we are keeping these kids out of school for a "potential" exposure at school but in reality a very very few if any will ever come down with any symptoms or test positive.  There is NO evidence of covid spreading in schools.  If it is spread among youth it is much more likely to happen when they get together with friends outside of school. Not to mention that risk among kids is soo low to begin with.  Flu is more risky to kids than COVID.

I have an 8th grader right now at home "quarantined" for 14 days.  He already had covid in November but since its past 90 days they are requiring him to quarantine.  Honestly other than not going to school for 14 days since he isn't allowed we aren't following any of the quarantine recommendations. In his case they are completely without merit.