Trusted Contributor

Re: Migraine Folks: The word is they lessen with age. Can you confirm this?

I had my first one at 13. It scared me so much. Started with me feeling strange and then I saw the aura, then the horrible pain. I've been to the e.r. and had shots that had little effect. I used to have maybe 4 a month. I used to just go to my room and lay down til I felt like I had to vomit and then it would be over. It would usually last for hours. One time my paramedic husband got me to try a mix of benadryl, aspirin, and tylenol. That and a cup of coffee. Worked better than anything I had tried and I wasn't vomiting anymore. I always rush to take the benadryl first, as soon as I see the aura. I think that's what does the most good. 

My migraines are less now. Sometimes I can go 4 months without one. I usually get them about once or twice a month. But they are not the horrible thing they used to be that would rob me of a day everytime. So thankful my husband got me to try that. Hope everyone finds their thing that helps them. Cool thing about the cake and the coke. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Renata22 

Hi Renata,

Thank you very much for sharing your migraine experience with you.  I'm happy for you that you're experiencing fewer migraines at this point in your life.  That is certainly a blessing.  And, gosh, that "drug cocktail" idea from your paramedic husband is really something!  I bet that more than a few people following this subject will pick up on that idea.  If just one people receives relief from that drug cocktail, then that would be great.

Note to anyone considering the over-the-counter drug and coffee cocktail suggested by Renata's paramedic husband, just be sure to run this by your PCP, prior to trying this out.  Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

@sfnative  Yes, I meant to say that about asking your doc. Thanks. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I also suffer from migraines.  They started when I was 20 years old.  I got them every month, and they would last for 2-5 days at a time.  In addition to the extreme pain, I got severe nausea and vomiting, I kept a pan under my bed so it would be in easy reach.  Light, noise and smells were also amplified.  I had to go to bed in a dark, quiet bedroom.

I went to many, many doctors and they could never find anything "wrong."  After suffering for over 10 years, my headaches were finally diagnosed.  I was prescribed an anti-depressant which helped by lessening the severity, but not the frequency.   When Imitrix was invented, I took that and it was a Godsend.  I first used the injections, then the nasal spray.  But I went back to the injections because they were more effective and I didn't like the nasal spray dripping down my throat into my stomach.

I found abrupt changes in the weather would trigger them, becoming dehydrated, and strong smells.  Also some foods, such as shellfish.

I've recently made an odd discovery.  About 7 months ago I was put on blood pressure meds for high blood pressure, and I've not had a migraine since!  I have NEVER gone more than 3 weeks without a migraine since they started when I was 20.  I don't know if it is a coincidence or if it's the medication.  I am going to bring this up at my next doctor's appointment.

I hope all of you find lasting relief.  Migraines have robbed me of alot of life, as I had to spend many days each month in bed, and most of the people in my life never understood what I was going through.  I know there are much worse health conditions and I was always grateful that I didn't have diabetes, etc.

I hope you all find peace and good health.

I