Honored Contributor

Micronutrients, do you count these?

or do you count  points, or carbs, or calories?  Or no counting at all?  I can't believe all the ways to keep track of how we eat and all the ways there are.   It's amazing.

Honored Contributor

Re: Micronutrients, do you count these?

I personally don't believe in this.  If you are putting good food in your mouth and watching portion size, that's all most people really need.

In my opinion, getting so detailed can possibly lead to eating disorders. 

Valued Contributor

no do not even know what that is

Honored Contributor

I guess not since I don’t know what it is.

Respected Contributor

No.  I wouldn't even know how to find out how many micronutrients I'm eating.  Just eat a good balanced diet and you will be fine.  For myself, I found out that watching calories and exercising is the best way to lose weight.  But, everyone's body is different. 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

or do you count  points, or carbs, or calories?  Or no counting at all?  I can't believe all the ways to keep track of how we eat and all the ways there are.   It's amazing.

@qualitygal

ITA!  It’s an eye-opener, for sure!

I use Cronometer..specially for Fat% calculation. 

My personal trainer wanted to go more plant-based and

asked my advice...but he was hesitant.  I committed to him

I would journal my food every day for a month and he could see

the results in terms of recovery/strength within my program.  

At the end of the month he was convinced but I learned so much,

as well!  I discovered I averaged 1600-1800 calories a day, 

3.4-4.2lb of food, a calorie density of 400-500lb, with an average

of Carbohydrate/Protein/Fat of 70/15/15.  Playing around with

the Fat%...he saw visible results as well as on the scale.

He started tracking his own food & now many of his clients

are tracking...and I help his clients get started.  

It’s so educational!  

I would encourage everyone to journal food/macros for a week/so. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

(thread title) 

No. I have learned through my life's experiences what nutrients my body needs to stay healthy and as physically fit as is possible as I age.

My way is borne out by never eating what many call "meals". My belief is the body(mine specifically) needs nutrition added regularly throughout the day, to stay as healthy as possible, and also to function at its highest(best) capacity.

In lieu of meals I do what some call "grazing" throughout all my waking hours. I do not count calories, nor do I add up percentages of "average" needs of vitamins and minerals, or whatever are considered as "micronutrients", I am not even sure what they might be.

It was/is a lifelong trial and error that I have used to satisfy myself, which choices of foods and drink, supply my body and mind with what helps them function as well as possible as my age numbers move upwards. Have these changed? Yes, and at no specific ages. I know when it is all working in concert(body with mind), and when it is not.

Every human body is unique and one should base their choices of nutrients and activities on how it acts or reacts to ones choices of lifestyle. That should include what and how much they eat and drink, and not so much on what "some" choose to call "average percentages" of XYZ needed by ones total body and mind. Every body functions as a unit, not separate parts.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

No, not happening here.   

Honored Contributor

No. don’t know what they are and don’t care.

Esteemed Contributor

All these diets are "get rich quick" methods of others. Don't believe in diets ever. Have always eaten healthy foods when my body needs fuel and energy. Have moved toward a more plant-based diet as I've gotten older and no longer desire heavy foods. Do not eat any wheat or dairy products (except cheeses periodically). 

Money screams; wealth whispers.